Staking around outer races of twin crank bearings

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
LynP

Staking around outer races of twin crank bearings

Post by LynP »

Please could members tell me on the best way of staking around the outer races in twin crankcases? I have damaged case where a previous owner had staked round the races but the alloy has cracked away at the ends and I do not want to do the same. Lyn.
Mick D

Re: Staking around outer races of twin crank bearings

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Loctite Bearing Fit should perform the same function without risk of further damage.

Regards Mick
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you for your reply Mick. I considered using Loctite but I was not sure how it would cope with the heat in the cases from them being in the oven,(my wife was out during the procedure). The races are already in the cases and I would rather not take them out again. I have a small cold chisel that I am thinking of using to stake the alloy but was not sure is it should be sharp or have the edge taken off. Or is there a more suitable tool. Lyn.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Lyn

The tool normally used for general bearing staking is a centre punch - four equally spaced indents around the bearing will suffice, aim to get the indents between 1/16" to 3/32" from the edge of the bearing bore. You don't want to beat the case to death, just enough for the pop marks to imperceptibly distort the bore and resist axial movement of the bearing outer.

Regards Mick
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi Mick,
The centre punch looks like a good way forward, much less brutal than a chisel and so less chance of case damage.
Thank you again. Best regards, Lyn