Matchless front hub help

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
roosterrs

Matchless front hub help

Post by roosterrs »

I have a Matchless front hub fitted to my Metisse. Its 8 inches in diameter and have been told its a standard full width hub which has been machined down.
The problem is it doesnt work very well.
I can pull the lever and it doesn't work very well at all even when I am pushing the bike. The rear is far better.
I will have it apart and am thinking it may be contaminated by anti corrosion spray by the previous owner. It could be just that the shoes are new and it needs bedding in but I would of thought it would be much better than it is currently.
What model would this brake have been fitted to and where can I get some new brake shoes for it?
Any other tricks that may help with this brake?

Thanks for your help.
clive

Re: Matchless front hub help

Post by clive »

have a look at the cable. A sharp turn or stretched outer will make it very soggy
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Sounds like a standard hub off-road bikes often had the fins machined off but difficult to tell without pictures, if it is the shoes are 7" diameter and are the same from 1948 to 1963 (plus a bit for CSR's etc). AMC parts dealers will do an exchange service if you need it or there are companies like Villiers services or general clutch/relining companies who will also do it for you but the latter may use a too hard material.
roosterrs

Post by roosterrs »

I have been told its a 54 backplate. I have noticed a small crack in the lever arm boss in the backplate. Can anyone tell me the part number of a 54 backplate so I can ensure I get the correct one.

Thanks
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Trust me it's a standards barrel shaped 7" hub machined for comp use so that the mud didn't stick and cause issue, the brake plate is a 54 as it has the arm in the lower position facing forward with the top fixed pivot bolted in. Rather than search for the rarer 54 plate, seek out a 55 on plate with the top mounted lever and the special curved arm that fits behind the ali slider, they are far more common.