Getting V5c from dating cert

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
ajscomboman

Re: Getting V5c from dating cert

Post by ajscomboman »

Tazmantic wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm I’ve just had a really horrible thought…….. I’ve fitted a bracket to use my phone as a speedo on the bike is this going to be ok?

I do have a replica smiths speedo which I’m am going to make a bracket and fit at some point which I could do Sunday but I don’t have a speedo cable 😩
Nope, you must have a mechanical driven speedo according to the law, cycle speedos and GPS or Phone apps are not legal , despite probably being more accurate!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I fear you will dig yourself into a deep hole when the inspector arrives just let him look at the bike. Only answer any questions asked and no more.
Roy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I very much doubt that such a minor point as the lack of a speedo would be a reason for the DVLA inspector to 'fail' your bike.

As you probably know, a speedo isn't required for the MOT. If no speedo is fitted the tester will enter 'Mileage not displayed' in the test records.

You're worrying unnecessarily.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:44 pm I very much doubt that such a minor point as the lack of a speedo would be a reason for the DVLA inspector to 'fail' your bike.

As you probably know, a speedo isn't required for the MOT. If no speedo is fitted the tester will enter 'Mileage not displayed' in the test records.

I stand corrected Nev. It is a legal requirement for road use though. I wouldn't think the vehicle inspector would be overly worried about it though.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks again guys I’ll see what I can sort by monday
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Cheers
Last edited by Tazmantic on Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:44 pm I very much doubt that such a minor point as the lack of a speedo would be a reason for the DVLA inspector to 'fail' your bike.

Thanks Spiddler this is why I presumed it wasn’t required. I must stop presuming.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

G15 Roy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:37 pm I fear you will dig yourself into a deep hole when the inspector arrives just let him look at the bike. Only answer any questions asked and no more.

Thanks Roy my lips will be sealed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:37 pm

I stand corrected Nev. It is a legal requirement for road use though. I wouldn't think the vehicle inspector would be overly worried about it though.
Quite so, Rob. The only reason I mentioned the speedo/MOT point was because the DVLA inspector won't be concerned about minor details or the road legality of the bike.
As someone mentioned above the bike must be 'a true representation the marque and year of the bike' (principally concerning the main components e.g. the frame, engine, forks, gearbox, wheels).
The process is described in this DVLA link https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... c-vehicles

And here is the check list of what the Inspector will be looking for:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 270913.pdf

In short, the inspector isn't a rivet-counter but is primarily concerned that the bike isn't a lash-up of modern or non-marque parts that have been put together using only an AMC frame or the part of the frame which bears the frame number.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Cheers guys, bracket made and speedo fitted with cable attached each end 😉 all parts are ether original or correct year (54/55) it all should be ok (I hope) 🤞