Getting V5c from dating cert

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Tazmantic

Re: Getting V5c from dating cert

Post by Tazmantic »

Greybeard wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:58 pm Why not give the DVLA a ring and get it from the horse's mouth? Having said that, the answer seems pretty self- evident to me!
Steve
Thanks for your help Steve 👍
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Post by clive »

Tazmantic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 pm Sorry guys another question, what year should I put? It’s a 1955 model but was manufactured September 1954 so should I put 1954??
Whatever the dating certificate says or they will reject it!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Liddle

Post by Liddle »

Hi there,
Put the date that's on the dating certificate, must send original,
picture of both sides of bike,mot exempt form I put frame number in brackets as you dont know what the new reg is ,a photo copy of driving license ,cheque for £55.If bike is an import or reimported you need Nova number, a pain in the a$#@.If they send out an inspector, the bike needs to look whole, he will take pictures of frame and engine numbers ,normally they are very friendly. The whole process can take 4 to 8 weeks.
Good luck
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks Liddle fingers crossed
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi again, I contacted the dvla a couple of weeks back to ask if the vin number was still on there system (this was suggested on another site) they got back to me today saying for them to check I needed to fill in a v62 with as much info as I have and pay a non refundable £25 and if it’s not they will tell me how to reregister it…I presume that if it is still on there records I will just get the original reg? is this worth a try? Has anyone been down this road? Or am I just throwing money away.

Cheers
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

I am surprised they said non refundable. I have travelled that road in the last many months unsuccessfully and they sent my cheque back when they said there was insufficient evidence to link the frame number to the original vrn. Their requirements are robust, basically original bill of sale or a previous official doc like registration doc or an MOT, otherwise you are unlikely to get the original vrn back.
In my case I didn't have much evidence to go on, just last two hand written receipts for sale by pos, an email from the earliest of these pos giving date he bought it and from what area tho he didn't have details, and photos of the bike at the time with vrn displayed..oh yeah and I had the original plates, along with dating certificate from club. Not enough it seems and after 6 weeks they sent the paperwork back. Dating Officer mentioned that bike was previously owned by a club member and it was possible he had taken it out of country based on his address so I contacted that country's club rep who very kindly asked around. Nothing known. But I contacted DVLA anyway and asked them to search their export register as it might prove the bike had been exported and give the frame/vrn evidence to back up my V62 application. After another 6 weeks they said no record of export but invited me to import it anyway with appropriate fee!?!
So I contacted them again and asked why they said I should import it, and on what evidence that it had left the country and apparently it was just me saying that it might and could they please check!
So now I instead completed a V55 but like an idiot accidentally posted a copy of the dating certificate this time. (Who'd have thought that in a digital world so much credence was placed on an embossed piece of paper!?) and after 4 weeks they returned everything again saying they needed the original. Once again I posted the same now dog eared documents back, this time with the original and 5 weeks later I am still waiting for their next play.
So, honestly I have no idea what the score is, and I am approaching the point when it will have taken less time to completely rebuild the bike from the ground up than to register it......
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

And rant over...
My advice would be that unless you have rock solid evidence linking the frame to the original vrn, then you'll save a lot of time by just going straight for an age related plate using V55/5.

And regarding ongoing delays at DVLA, this is apparently (like everything else these days) "because of covid".
Which actually means that the union has been taking rolling strike action because they were unhappy about members returning to office working. And then even more unhappy when some services were outsourced to try to keep things moving.
This reticence is regardless of frequent site visits by HSE Executive who have confirmed full compliance with safe requirements.

Ooops, sorry, Rant Mode accidentally reactivated. :|
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Thanks Andy G the email they sent made it sound very easy but after your efforts I think I’ll just go v55 route.

Cheers Neil

Here’s the body of the email they sent.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 8/6/2021.
Your case reference number is @@@@@@

In order to check if the VIN number is held on our vehicle records, you'd need to apply for a V5C Registration Certificate with a £25 non refundable fee.

You can apply for a V5C Registration Certificate by filling in a form V62 with the information you have about the vehicle. (The V62 is available at the Post Office and the Gov.uk website. You will need the VIN/Chassis Number to complete the application). Please send the form and covering letter explaining the circumstances direct to:

VI Team
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1DD

Please note that the vehicle may need to be inspected, please allow up to 6 to 8 weeks to receive correspondence.

If there is no record of the vehicle, we will inform you of the next steps to re register the vehicle.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Well my experience to date hasn't been great but you've got more guidance in the above than I received so I guess it's just luck who handles your query that day!
It's your choice and whichever way you go I hope you will do better than me!
As an aside, I called DVLA again today to see if I could get an update. The chap said there was no status updates made to my application since 17 May, but he'd send it for review and someone will contact me...
clive

Post by clive »

well I reckon they are tightening up considerably. In 2012 I tried to register a bike I believed had been reimported from the US but they refused to accept the application refunded the cheque and said reapply as a lost document vehicle because it was a UK registered bike. This year I tried to apply for registration for a bike I knew to be UK registered but for which the papers had been lost, refused had to reapply as a new registration for a historic vehicle. When challenged they said oh the frame numbers were repeated.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix