Steering damper 1956 G80S

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Steering damper 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Plan to refit the steering damper I removed after highsiding the Matchless over the small wheel sidecar in my early 20's.

I have most of the parts, with the exception of Nut, locking sleeve to drawbolt – 000073 – which is on AMOC Spares but listed as Nut, pillion footrest, Bolt, fixing sleeve assembly – 014577 and Washer, ratchet, for steering damper knob – 000162.

But I can't recall how it all fits together. Mr Neill has a description which is as clear as mud. The Spares list doesn't help and neither does the owner's manual. Because what I need is a picture.

Anyone got one.

Johnny B
Mick D

Re: Steering damper 1956 G80S

Post by Mick D »

Hi Johnny

Looking at pages 29 / 30 of the 56 singles parts list:

The nut, 000073, is a half thickness nut fitted to the lower thread of draw bolt 010807 which is in turn screwed into 015137 and the joint secured with the nut, (a blob of Loctite wouldn't go amiss here ;) )

Bolt fixing sleeve assy will be a small bolt which secures the sleeve assy, 015137 to the frame.

000162 is a profiled washer which is fitted onto the top thread of the draw bolt after the spring washer and before the steering damper knob. The profiled ridges in the washer will match similar in the knob and are there to stop it unscrewing due to vibration.

Regards Mick
56G80S

Re: Steering damper 1956 G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hi Mick

Thanks a lot for the help. I did look at the spares list but it didn't appear to me to give clarity about the assembly order although it sometimes does.

I'm very familiar with the half width nut as it was part of the arrangement for fitting the Roadark panniers to the Matchless (be selling those before long but not yet, Clive).

So it's acting as a locknut right at the bottom of the fitting. I understood the small bolts but not where the 000162 ratchet was going. I have my tin of spares at the house and looked at the underside of the knob and coupled with your explanation (coupled with F W Neill's book) it's clearer now!

TBH I wished I'd put it back on years ago. Coming back from the IJR in Celles sur Belle the conditions were awful, heavy rain and wind, I was trying to make sure I arrived at Dieppe in time to change the day I was sailing. The handlebar fairing, coupled with the luggage, was giving me a bit of wobble at higher speeds and I could've done with the option of the damper. Steering head all good, it was just the exceptional circumstances.

If anybody's got a photo that would be nice too.

JohnnyB