55 G9 engine sprocket and rear mudguard

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uas526

Re: 55 G9 engine sprocket and rear mudguard

Post by uas526 »

Mick D. I like your suggestions. I also worry about temper, but on some if the things I work on (machinery) the loctited items just won't budge unless heated. I usually go in stages with the heat, and never to the point where the metal changes colour. There are temp ratings in the loctite catalogue:

As long as it's not Loctite 2620 Red Threadlocker :o

"Removing the red threadlocker involves heating the nut and bolt for a couple of minutes to a temperature of 500°F (250°C), applying localized heat using a blowtorch, for example. This will soften the thermoset plastic in the threadlocker. Once your nut and bolt is heated up, grab your hand wrench and take the assembly apart."
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Engine sprocket came off after a combo of brutal force and gentle heat. No Loctite, but if I know the restorer right he applied a metre or so breaker bar.

For the rear end. When I look at the muadguard off the bike I suspect the lower front end have been forced rearward, but that's probably only one part of the problem. The frame rear loop clearly isn't in it's original shape with the left leg pointing outward. Somewhat it's corrected when assebled to the rest of the frame, but given the issues with the mudguard I think it's better to have it corrected once and for all. I called a friend in the local vintage motorcycle club and he gave me a lead to someone who should have the skills. I'll try to contact him tomorrow.

What do you think of the front end of the mudguard?
IMG_9359.JPG
IMG_9363.JPG
IMG_9357.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

I agree the bottom does look as though it has been forced back. If it is going to help you could try pulling it forward. But remember you are trying to merge parts from different years and you may have to apply some judgement to get it all to fit.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Update on this. For a while I thought the fram might be damaged. Had a senior citizen who used to build road racing frames back in the days to check it, and he thought the frame is straight enough. We measured also the mudguard and foun out that it's in fact quite well positioned, but in order to get it there it must be put under some strain. I've now more or less finished the dry build and will move on the take on jampots and gearbox in the first run, I think. (Is it possble to remove the grearbox without taking the whole bike apart?)
169281394_10157958956076966_6941324927265042339_n.jpg
168864853_10157958955961966_5516477248780769011_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.