Setting up ignition timing, 1960 Model 31 K2F mag

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
56G80S

Re: Setting up ignition timing, 1960 Model 31 K2F mag

Post by 56G80S »

Like Sprid, I use wire with cuts to mark the TDC and before tdc. But that's for a single.

Johnny B
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:An old full width hub spoke if you have one makes an excellent rod.
What an excellent idea - many thanks :beer: :beer:

I have all manner of piston position tools but had never thought of using the mushroomed head of a spoke to rest on the piston.

Today has not been wasted :D :D

Clive - you are in danger of elevation above serial bodger ;) ;)

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

Thanks Mick I will continue to struggle to maintain my good name as bodger. Is your shed any warmer yet? I am managing to get into my garage now.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Timing pic1.jpg
Thanks for the help. I'm struggling to get the rod (part of an old rod rest, perfect) in the vertical position, is it a case of getting as close as possible given the restriction of movement?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Use a thinner wire - wire coat hanger / thin knitting needle - it's not the end of the world as long as it's as close to vertical as possible but for the purpose of repeatability vertical is ideal.

Regards Mick
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

Well I think the rod rest technique has worked. I marked up TDC and then 11/32 on the rod and used the cylinder fins as a datum to avoid parallax error. It seems that the gap between cooling fins is 11/32, surely more than a coincidence? Clever chaps at Plumstead.
mjf65

Post by mjf65 »

clive wrote:An old full width hub spoke if you have one makes an excellent rod. Means you can stand it vertical obviously with the rounded end on the piston. Definitely don't use a pencil whilst doing a re-time for your ex. Then realise you have pushed the wheel forward and broken the pencil with an inch left in the barrel Think what the f... and start the bike. Worked fine but then feel guilty and take the head off only to find all the bits have already been blown into the silencer! :oops:

Oh yes and go back and roll forward to take up the backlash
Clive, I found using turning the crankshaft with a ring spanner gave a lot more fine adjustment on setting up than rotating the back wheel. I appreciate you need the timing cover off for this but I did anyway as I'd had the mag refurbished.
clive

Post by clive »

I had singles for many years before branching into the madness of a second cylinder so i still tend to think in single. No crankshaft to get at without removing either the primary cover or the inner timing case.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix