Torque values.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Jef Walker_LAPSED

Torque values.

Post by Jef Walker_LAPSED »

Hi, Can anybody tell me where i can find out all the torque settings for a 1955 AJS Model 20? The main thing I am looking for is the torque setting for the Relief valve assly on the left hand crankshaft.
The valve has just sheared off, I have ordered a new one and I do not want to over tighten it.

Thanks

Jef Walker
Jef Walker

Re: Torque values.

Post by 1608 »

There are no torque settings listed for these bikes. There is only a recommended torque setting for the head bots ( see manual ). Practically all the engine work need only be carried out with appropriate ring and open ended spanners. I would suggest due diligence be used in employing sockets and long levers.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Yes, I learnt the hard way to use spanners of the appropriate length and to not always hold them at the end! I have another thread (!) running which is about correcting one of my "enthusiastic" small bolt errors when in my early/mid twenties. Keep the machinery long enough and your faults find you out.

On the head bolts front (and other multi bolt covers) I think the torque issue is sometimes less about the absolute value than ensuring that they are all the same.

This is fine for the skilled mechanic with genuine feel but for those like me it is useful to use a torque wrench.

Some things just need to be FT.

Johnny B
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Its worth spending some time searching the internet there should be some standard torque tables on there to use as a guide.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Jef.
If you don't have a workshop manual, owners manual or spares list for your bike you can find them here under 'Books'.
http://archives.jampot.dk/

Masses of other stuff in the other sections of that archive including a couple of generic articles/guides on torque under the 'Technical' section. I've never used them and you need to consider the material of the 'weakest' component (e.g. Alloy or steel).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'