Poor (very) braking on both drums, post 63.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
JEAN-NOEL

Poor (very) braking on both drums, post 63.

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
Now that my bike runs very well, insufficient braking becomes a real problem.
I kept the old brake shoes, (they were quite new when I bought the bike in 1994) which are dry, and in excellent condition, because they are in abestos compound, very soft, and therefore deemed to be more effecient than those currently available. I would like to get the opinion of those who use the same brakes with modern linings. May be G15 owners could have a good advice ?
Do you think that a brand new TLS may Worth the money spent ?
Kind regards.
clive

Re: Poor (very) braking on both drums, post 63.

Post by clive »

I have a 67 G15mk2 which had a front brake that would not even stop the bike when I rolled it off the bike lift! The problem turned out to be worn out brake shoes and a brake cable that had a bent outer thus acting as a spring when the brakes were applied. New cable and modern replacement shoes and the brake is a goodun. Miles better that the earlier AMC full width hub.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

It depends what bike you have. I have a Model 18, G12CSR and G15CSR with the Norton hubs. The G12CSR and G15CSR have TLS front brakes and they really need them in my opinion. The G15 is a heavy old thing and the G12 is not much lighter. The Model 18 manages with the SLS brake but I would change this to a TLS if I carried a pillion passenger regularly on this bike. On all 3 the rear brakes are truly awful!! They are really not much good, just there for operating the rear brake light in my view. I know others who have the later bikes and the rear brakes are universally poor.

Once a TLS has bedded in, the braking power is so much better. Only the bike owner can decide whether the TLS is value for money. I believe it is. I also have a S2 Royal Enfield Interceptor that has a Norton TLS brake (Roadholder forks). I would not try riding that with a SLS!!
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I think you're wrong there. I don't think any AMC bikes had TLS brakes until the Commando. You might see them fitted now but it's an easy swap.
Dave.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you very much for your advice.As I always ride alone and without luggage at moderate speeds, (90 kph) I'll start by following Clive's advice: around £ 40 for new front brake shoes instead of £ 450 plus postage for a TLS brake plate and a new cable. If I am still dissatisfied I will go to the 2nd solution. Fortunately the gearbox is a model of smoothness and quick shifting to make the most of the engine braking.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Bonjour Jean-Noël - à Gary Parkin en Bretagne peut-être pour une réfection des garnitures? Il est souvent bien recommandé si vous ne lui connaissez pas déjà.
https://www.instagram.com/gp_motos_anciennes/
Amitiés, Bill
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Sorry if I have misled anyone, the TLS brakes on my bikes are Commando specification fitted by me as replacements for the original SLS.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Bill,
thank you ! I'll get in touch with Gary.
Kind regards.
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

hi Jean ;
if you want better braking with standard brakes you can send some old shoes suitable for re-lining to VILLIERS SERVICES and get their soft linings bonded on .
these should stop your bike .
its not expensive , around £27 per pair , all you need to do is to send the shoes to them with details of what bike its for and ask for soft linings for road use .
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you Ian, your advice will be useful for U.K. members. This morning I had an answer from Gary PARKIN, established in France, who offers me the relining of my brake shoes with suitable soft linings for 35 €, including VAT per brake + postage. After refiting and bed in, I'll post my feed back...Thank you all for your advices !