Chain rivets

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Rob Harknett

Re: Chain rivets

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes the chain is joined by a split link Rob.
So really you only have 2 chances instead of 1, a spring clip may pop off.
Every one used crank links years ago on our bikes with 2 joining links. I believe I have in recent times.
They were also used to shorten a stretched chain, to get more miles out of it.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Yes the chain is joined by a split link Rob.
So really you only have 2 chances instead of 1, a spring clip may pop off.
Every one used crank links years ago on our bikes with 2 joining links. I believe I have in recent times.
They were also used to shorten a stretched chain, to get more miles out of it.
I still have a bike with 2 split links Rob, what I'd not seen before on a motorcycle was a cranked link held with a split pin. I've seen them on many low speed application when working in factories etc but never on a motorcycle. I knew that it was not recommended and to see it was a bit of a surprise.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Ah, ok. Interesting. I'd actually ruled out the use of a second split link thinking it wasn't a good idea.

Sounds like it may be a compromise, if the rivets are a non-starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm missing something here obviously :?

What's preventing two lengths being joined with a peened link to achieve the correct length which is then assembled with a split link? Why the need for an individual rivet?

Regards Mick
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

There's me 'presuming' again ..... I'd not seen, when searching the chain size, a peened type (only clip type). I've only seen these on modern bikes.

I'll have another look

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'm missing something here obviously :?

What's preventing two lengths being joined with a peened link to achieve the correct length which is then assembled with a split link? Why the need for an individual rivet?

Regards Mick
Precisely why I mentioned the chainman, I'm sure Jason would be able to supply something. Modern chains come with a rivet link so can't see why wouldn't be available from him.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

TBH I have only ever used conventional split links with the Matchless and all other motorcycles including the quite rapidly accelerating Triumph 650.

I have tended to replace them after, say, boiling the rear chain in linklyfe.

The Yamaha manual provides dire warnings against using a split link, but I suppose it is around 60hp, not much but a lot more than the Matchless.

I've not yet had one fail. I'd be happy to use the peened approach if Tom finds a source though. It would certainly make servicing the Yamaha chain easier and hence more likely to happen as it's recommended every 400 miles!

ooopppsssss.

Johnny B
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

I had to get a cranked half link for my BSA when I fitted a new chain because of the combination of sprockets and centres dictated that an extra whole link was too long when added to the too short new chain I'd bought (ie it had the same number of links as the stretched old chain it replaced).

Spoke to Daren(?) the Chainman and he supplied the relevant link, the information on how to peen it over and suggested that the process was not as difficult as I'd imagined and to give it a go.
He also said to call him if if I had any difficulty when doing it.

So I did, he was correct it wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined and all is good so far!
Three cheers for Daren and the half link then :beer:

Alan

PS For Clive: Not so much an advert, more of a report on excellent service received with all the usual caveats etc ..... :)
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Good stuff! First-hand experience and lived to tell the tale

Awaiting a response from El Chainman!