Correct butted spokes for AJS model 18

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Correct butted spokes for AJS model 18

Post by Invicta »

Hi, Can anyone please tell me where in the UK I can get the correct size butted spokes for my 1949 AJS rigid model 18 ?
The Devon rim company supplied butted spokes for the brake side of my front wheel, and plain single diameter for the other side, which rattle around in the slotted spoke holes on that side. When I asked their sales department if they could supply butted spokes for this of the wheel, they simply referred me to their web site, which is rather confusing as to what they do and do not supply and in what size. The spokes that they supplied with my new rim for the rear wheel were also plain and should have been butted. They state that they do not even make spokes to the size as shown in the parts book. Having measured the large diameter of the rear wheel spokes in my original 1950 model 18 wheel, which are 0.180" in diameter. That dimension does not relate to any standard wire gauge G size. 6G being 0.192"diameter and 7G being 0.171" diameter. Parts book gives the spoke size as 6G by 9G That is 0.192" and 0.142" respectively. What I have been supplied with are single plain diameter spokes size 8G, which are 0.156" in diameter. These would certainly be strong enough , but I would like to keep as much originality as possible, and fit butted spokes if I can. Cheers
Dave.
g80csp11

Re: Correct butted spokes for AJS model 18

Post by g80csp11 »

Central wheel company supply
Stainless steel double butted (polished only)
8/9/8g, 8/10/8g, 9/10/9g, 9/12/9g, 10/12/10g
Made only to order