Box of bits assembly of 1955 G80S

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
RobC_LAPSED

Box of bits assembly of 1955 G80S

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

Hi all,
I've had a G80S 1955 in boxes and parts since the early 80s when I bought it this way as a future project! Now with this lock-down I'm finally getting around to trying to put it together. Lock-down 1 was for extending the workshop, so I have a space to work on it now!

My main question is, are there any exploded diagrams or pictures that will help with the frame assembly etc, on this site somewhere? I've done some searching and found a few photo's that give some clues. I've got part books etc that should help me find the parts I need to get, but it's how all the small parts go together thats a bit tricky without having taken it apart!
I've worked out how the main bits of the frames go together, but as for how the engine plates fix and where spacers, washers and the correct size bolts/studs go is a bit of a jigsaw!

Any pointers appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Rob
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Box of bits assembly of 1955 G80S

Post by Eamonn »

Rob, many members use the "Bruce Main-Smith" illustrated manuals to see where things fit.

Your model should be on the following link:

https://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co ... s/page/12/
Corners like a Lego man
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Most of the info you need is in the 1955 parts list. It just takes a bit of detective work to sort it all out! If you join the club you will get plenty of help and you have a good local section to help you. :D
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

All of the information you need is on here or in the archive, I'd advise you to start with the parts list and dry assemble things, if you get to a point where you're stuck and searching the site doesn't help then ask the question on the Forum - you will get a quick response.

I think your guest membership is limited to 60 days, so unless you think you'll be done by then, it's a good idea to join The Club.

Regards Mick
RobC_LAPSED

Post by RobC_LAPSED »

Thanks Eamonn and all for your comments. I got the 55 Maintenance manual from there plus I've got original and copy Matchless & AJS parts manuals. The diags in there of the forks are very helpful but I cant see any good diags of the frame and fixings to help get the spacers, studs etc in the right places.

I found a good photo here of how the centre stand goes together in the bottom rails which is helpful plus one of a labelled engine plate, also very useful. Its pictures/diags like these with the small parts shown that I was after.

I can see under Footrests that there is 3.5 inch spacer that goes between the engine rear plates. As the engine lugs are 3.5 inch long, I'm assuming these plates bolt directly to the engine with no spacers in between. How far the engine and plates fit left or right of the frame centreline is not clear to me though. I've not seen one close up.

I'm sure joining the club is a good idea, I thought I'd just start with the forum first.

Any tips or photo's much appreciated.
Rob
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

RobC wrote:Thanks Eamonn and all for your comments. I got the 55 Maintenance manual from there plus I've got original and copy Matchless & AJS parts manuals. The diags in there of the forks are very helpful but I cant see any good diags of the frame and fixings to help get the spacers, studs etc in the right places.

I found a good photo here of how the centre stand goes together in the bottom rails which is helpful plus one of a labelled engine plate, also very useful. Its pictures/diags like these with the small parts shown that I was after.

I can see under Footrests that there is 3.5 inch spacer that goes between the engine rear plates. As the engine lugs are 3.5 inch long, I'm assuming these plates bolt directly to the engine with no spacers in between. How far the engine and plates fit left or right of the frame centreline is not clear to me though. I've not seen one close up.

I'm sure joining the club is a good idea, I thought I'd just start with the forum first.

Any tips or photo's much appreciated.
Rob
You're very lucky that Hampshire contains some very helpful members, especially when it comes to advising what to do with the factory centrestand! Better go now before the adverts policeman pop's up!

He's here
cop emoji.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martinbuilt AJS

Post by martinbuilt AJS »

This is timely.
I'm in the same spot, starting from parts. There has to be an "order of operations" somewhere. Looking at it, i'm not sure what order to assemble the frame, rails,and plates.
Motor last? Is it possible to install the gearbox after the plates are bolted in?
Mine is a '51 18s, so it should be similar..
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Even if you did find an 'order of operations' it would only be one person's opinion of how to do it. Ask the question on here and you'll get as many different ways as you get answers.
My own way is to build up the frame and swinging arm, with loose engine plates, on the centre stand (including spring). Then put gearbox in followed by the engine bottom end. Then tighten up studs etc. Build up the engine, fork yokes, etc. Just my own method which I've done many times. I know there are many other ways, some build up the entire engine, rest it on it's side and put the frame over it. (Sounds hard work to me but some swear by it!). Some build up frame, forks and wheels to make a rolling chassis so it can be moved around. I use a hydraulic bike bench to save my back! I always think that you should use the exact parts list for your year model. In your case the 1951 parts list is good in that a lot of the dimensions are given which are omitted in later years. Good luck to both of you, you'll get lot's of help on here if you ask for it! :D
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you're doing a restoration as opposed to putting together an 'oily rag', I strongly suggest you do a full dry assembly, (not necessarily all at once). It's annoying, not to mention expensive, if you find you need to modify components after they have been finished, (paint, powder, chrome).

Regards Mick