Russell Motors -

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
uktom77

Re: Russell Motors -

Post by uktom77 »

All sorted. Spoke to Les today, bits ordered and in the post.

Good advice to wait until 11am. Mondays are a no-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teebee67

Post by teebee67 »

I phoned them today (afternoon) and spoke to Les who was very helpful and is supplying a part that I have been trying to find for weeks. Excellent price too.
I'm only old on the outside.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

Old thread, I know, but, anyway. If I write a letter to Les with what I want, should I then write my card details in the same letter and tell him to charge that much that he needs? I genuinely hate the UK way of card payments with card details sent in e-mails or letters, but I trust Les, I like Russell Motors as that quirky old school shop on the corner, and I think they have a part I need that no one else of the dealers have. Cheque is not an option and rattling card numbers and spares numbers over the phone not really too.
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

If you include your phone number, he'll probably call you for payment details (not good to include your card details in the post).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

It's a shame I think that Russell Motors do not move into the modern age, I checked my emails that I had sent to them for orders and it came to over a £1000, for the two bikes I was working on, none of these emails were acknowledged and phoning is hit and mis. The orders they never got were split between Club spares and Steve, so as it stands now I'm just happy to ignore them, it's their loss and a gain for Club spares and Steve.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Rosy wrote:It's a shame I think that Russell Motors do not move into the modern age, I checked my emails that I had sent to them for orders and it came to over a £1000, for the two bikes I was working on, none of these emails were acknowledged and phoning is hit and mis. The orders they never got were split between Club spares and Steve, so as it stands now I'm just happy to ignore them, it's their loss and a gain for Club spares and Steve.
Les Myers, now well into his 70's, who runs the old bike side of the business alone which was started by his father 76 years ago doesn't use email. I understand that the email address:

spares@russellmotors.co.uk

is exclusively used by his sons who run the servicing, spares and MOT modern bike side and in which Les plays no part. You can only contact him reliably by phone or fax. It's reasonable to assume that Les, now semi-retired will retire totally before long. His vast AMC knowledge will be an irreplaceable loss.

Les once told me of spending several days as a kid making trips over several days with his dad in their van to Plumstead to take away masses of spares, drawings and factory tooling. Les said they also found spares, drawings, factory records (plus a dozen finished 7R tanks) in skips. He said that he still has crates of spares from those clearance days stored in a warehouse that have never been opened........... :?

I doubt that Les is at all concerned about building up the business so for him to use email facilities is most unlikely.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Also might be worth saying that I don't own a fax (not many people do these days) but I found an 'app' for my ipad where I could send a fax and Les's world opened up to me.

Ps. I'd love to go rummaging around in those lock-ups full of AMC stuff. Wouldn't even need to take anything away with me, it'd just be great looking through a time-warp of treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

About a month ago I was on a rare trip to Newlands Corner while giving the Model 31 an airing, while parked there an old aged couple with their twin sons were looking at the bikes and the old chap remarked on the Model 31, I gave him a bit of history to which he replied I know you! I took a good look at him and raised that I also new this person but at that moment couldn't place him, he said I'm Les from Russell Motors at Streatham. What a complete surprise, I haven't seen him for years and in a way apart from being a bit fatter in the face hadn't really changed much. It was great to meet him after all this time.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Les only works Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and when there always answers the phone.

He doesn't do emails, call, write or fax and he will help you.

He is a smashing bloke, extremely helpful, and I strongly doubt anyone anywhere knows more about AMC bikes than he does!