Front chain/gearbox position adjustment .. M31 1959

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Taid

Front chain/gearbox position adjustment .. M31 1959

Post by Taid »

Just checking around I feel this area doesn't look right .. nothing like my 16ms anyway .. and nothing like fig 92 in the workshop manual ...

In the very short distance I have ridden it all seems ok, no strange noises etc but the adjustment bolt is totally different to the diagram and the gearbox seems about as far forward as it can go .. (is the chain short?)

I suspect any investigation/rectification would mean a lot of disassembly so would prefer not to change anything unless desperately needed

20221003_092056.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Andy G

Re: Front chain/gearbox position adjustment .. M31 1959

Post by Andy G »

This is mounting with AMC gearbox on a 62 31. Not sure if that is any help.
20221003_123421.jpg
And here's a mount on my 57 M16, with the "half width " adjuster inboard. Also AMC box. Couldn't tell anything about originality..
20221003_123521.jpg
Is yours a combination of both?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Taid

Post by Taid »

Andy G wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:54 pm This is mounting with AMC gearbox on a 62 31. Not sure if that is any help
Ah, that's cleared it up, I think .. What I though was a bolt head seems to be the lock-nut, on the wrong side ..

Perhaps I can rectify it without too much trouble .. but no great rush ....

Thanks
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Is the full width square bar a standard part on some models?
I've only come across the half width type. When I was building up my bitsa I made up a full width bar just as it seemed to make sense.
Having done so I then wondered what the purpose of the bar was... Does it provide a positive stop for the gearbox when under load or is it just a mount for an adjuster bolt to conveniently set the position of the gearbox before doing up the gearbox mounting bolts?
I tried to imagine what would happen the gearbox if it's mounting bolts were left fingertight. Pulled forward by the front chain? Pulled backwards by the back chain? Stay where it was?
I just got confused... So I stopped thinking about it. 🤪
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Joker_Bones wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:04 pm Is the full width square bar a standard part on some models?
I've only come across the half width type. When I was building up my bitsa I made up a full width bar just as it seemed to make sense.
Having done so I then wondered what the purpose of the bar was... Does it provide a positive stop for the gearbox when under load or is it just a mount for an adjuster bolt to conveniently set the position of the gearbox before doing up the gearbox mounting bolts?
I tried to imagine what would happen the gearbox if it's mounting bolts were left fingertight. Pulled forward by the front chain? Pulled backwards by the back chain? Stay where it was?
I just got confused... So I stopped thinking about it. 🤪
Full width bar was used on later models mainly CS/CSR's due to them having rip snorting extra power! :rofl: :rofl: