issues have been found now engine apart.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
clive

Re: issues have been found now engine apart.

Post by clive »

Wayne some of the regular responders on here have been at a club rally for the weekend. Your questions come thick and fast I will try to answer some. The piston fit in the barrel does look loose and could contribute to burning oil when running. If the piston is plus 60 already you will have difficulty finding anything bigger so certainly don't have it bored with the piston. The usual arrangement is to have the barrel resleeved back to original size but you could try buying some plus 60 rings for your hepolite piston from Cox and Turner. Better fitting rings might sort the problem. Given the lip which is usual your rings will probably have worn badly. If you do go down that route it is advisable to hone out the ridge just to ensure the new rings don't catch it. I have not bothered and go away with it. It all depends on how much you intend to use the bike. A resleeve to original would last perhaps 20 to 30 thousand miles new rings at a fraction of the cost depending on extent of the wear perhaps 5 thousand miles or maybe more. At the average use of 1000 miles a year thats 5 years for the rings or 20 years for the resleeve! Someone may give good advice based on your measurements.
finally side to side movement in the conrod is perfectly normal. To check for wear turn the crank until it is at TDC then check for up and down movement not side to side.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm Wayne some of the regular responders on here have been at a club rally for the weekend. Your questions come thick and fast I will try to answer some. The piston fit in the barrel does look loose and could contribute to burning oil when running. If the piston is plus 60 already you will have difficulty finding anything bigger so certainly don't have it bored with the piston. The usual arrangement is to have the barrel resleeved back to original size but you could try buying some plus 60 rings for your hepolite piston from Cox and Turner. Better fitting rings might sort the problem. Given the lip which is usual your rings will probably have worn badly. If you do go down that route it is advisable to hone out the ridge just to ensure the new rings don't catch it. I have not bothered and go away with it. It all depends on how much you intend to use the bike. A resleeve to original would last perhaps 20 to 30 thousand miles new rings at a fraction of the cost depending on extent of the wear perhaps 5 thousand miles or maybe more. At the average use of 1000 miles a year thats 5 years for the rings or 20 years for the resleeve! Someone may give good advice based on your measurements.
finally side to side movement in the conrod is perfectly normal. To check for wear turn the crank until it is at TDC then check for up and down movement not side to side.
yeah I hope the guys are having a good weekend! best thing for me would to be having the bike good as new in there, the piston is 060, forgive my lack of technical terms, the barrel needs to be roughed up again as it is too glassy, I have seen new cylinder barrels on ebay, would that be worth a go? but I will try new piston rings, it's a pretty easy bike to take apart. what exactly do I need to ask cox and turner for? just plus 60 rings? give them my measurements I guess right? thing is barrel look in great condition no scuffs at all, piston is scuffed all down the side. please sir may I ask you where to get a new piston? I would like a new piston and rings. thanks very much.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:53 pm Wayne some of the regular responders on here have been at a club rally for the weekend. Your questions come thick and fast I will try to answer some. The piston fit in the barrel does look loose and could contribute to burning oil when running. If the piston is plus 60 already you will have difficulty finding anything bigger so certainly don't have it bored with the piston. The usual arrangement is to have the barrel resleeved back to original size but you could try buying some plus 60 rings for your hepolite piston from Cox and Turner. Better fitting rings might sort the problem. Given the lip which is usual your rings will probably have worn badly. If you do go down that route it is advisable to hone out the ridge just to ensure the new rings don't catch it. I have not bothered and go away with it. It all depends on how much you intend to use the bike. A resleeve to original would last perhaps 20 to 30 thousand miles new rings at a fraction of the cost depending on extent of the wear perhaps 5 thousand miles or maybe more. At the average use of 1000 miles a year thats 5 years for the rings or 20 years for the resleeve! Someone may give good advice based on your measurements.
p.s no up and down movement in conrod thank goodness. money is no object, I want the bike at it's best and safe. regards