issues have been found now engine apart.

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Wayne Cole

issues have been found now engine apart.

Post by Wayne Cole »

please watch video I explain everything apart from - the piston is marked 060 where do I go from here, is boring out the cylinder to say 070 a good idea? valves and valve guides are another thing, they look very dirty but I have no idea if they are loose. then there is the pushrod adjustment at a later date. video here. thanks all could not have got this far without you, in a way I am actually really glad I took the thing apart and I can sleep better at night knowing what needs to be done now. :thumbup:
Wayne Cole

Re: issues have been found now engine apart.

Post by Wayne Cole »

or! do I just buy good used cylinder and a piston with the right size? hard to come by a good cylinder with no fins broken etc.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

p.s I will take piston out and measure cylinder
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

is this a normal amount of play on the crankshaft? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sAo_kpXyVJ4
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

While you await the masses to wake up. Don't panic.

It's a great engine to learn with it's very basic in how it works.

The lip at the top is just where the piston doesnt go so gets some carbon build up. That can be cleaned off.

You may need to measure the piston and barrel (at both ends) to check for wear. Though I would be tempted to try a new set of rings.

The valves and head in general will be quite grubby, these bikes never heard of emissions or fuel efficiency. They are quite dirty and carbon is known to build up.

You can buy a tool for the ease with the hair springs for the valves otherwise its a pain to take apart.

There is a trick for the o-rings at the base of the push rod tubes. Someone who knows the trick will be along later to explain it. They are known to leak. But this being a old brit bike it works on a total loss oil system....well mine does. Never need to do an oil change, just top up the oil every few thousand miles, just watch out for when it marks its territory, you can easily slip up there.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

jackstringer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:19 am While you await the masses to wake up. Don't panic.

It's a great engine to learn with it's very basic in how it works.

The lip at the top is just where the piston doesnt go so gets some carbon build up. That can be cleaned off.

You may need to measure the piston and barrel (at both ends) to check for wear. Though I would be tempted to try a new set of rings.

The valves and head in general will be quite grubby, these bikes never heard of emissions or fuel efficiency. They are quite dirty and carbon is known to build up.

You can buy a tool for the ease with the hair springs for the valves otherwise its a pain to take apart.

There is a trick for the o-rings at the base of the push rod tubes. Someone who knows the trick will be along later to explain it. They are known to leak. But this being a old brit bike it works on a total loss oil system....well mine does. Never need to do an oil change, just top up the oil every few thousand miles, just watch out for when it marks its territory, you can easily slip up there.
it would be wonderful if it were a case of just new piston rings! I will go measure now and get back to you. thank you sir. as for crankshaft, no up and down play which is a good thing. regards
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Yours could have looked like mine,
https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/my-vehi ... step-back/

Scroll down to see the free-flowing piston and bent valves.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

jackstringer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:48 am Yours could have looked like mine,

thanks for link. here is everything so far - TOP OF CYLINDER VERY GLASSY - 70.5 mm (past carbon lip) BOTTOM OF CYLINDER VERY GLASSY - 70.3 mm (piston doesn't reach that far down) TOP OF PISTON - 70.00 mm MIDDLE OF PISTON - 70.4 mm BOTTOM OF PISTON - 70.3 mm TUBE LENGHT - 82.5 mm TUBE WIDTH - 22.2 mm PISTON RING WIDTH - 29 mm (piston has sirclips) PISTON READS INSIDE - HEPLEX 0465. J5(S?)9 3021AM413
20220924_114046.jpg
20220924_114102.jpg
20220924_162516.jpg
20220924_162516.jpg
20220924_162613.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

jackstringer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:48 am Yours could have looked like mine,

20220924_162858.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

CORRECTION I THINK PISTON LENGHT WAS 82.5 NOT THE TUBE LENGHT, TUBE WAS 22.2 I THINK? DOES IT MATTER? ANYWAY I'M SHOUTING! BRIANACHE, CUP OF TEA I THINK...