G12 oilfilter no felt

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
stan man

G12 oilfilter no felt

Post by stan man »

Hi new to forum and 35 years since I last had a G12 so please excuse ignorance. Did first filter clean on 1961 bike I bought last year. Was expecting a felt filter but instead is a wire mesh job. Only one skin of it unlike the two skin ones that I have seen mentioned while trying to find out what I should have.Can anyone tell me what I should have ? Have photo of existing but can't work out how to insert it ??
Thanks
Samuel

Re: G12 oilfilter no felt

Post by Samuel »

stan man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm Have photo of existing but can't work out how to insert it ??
Thanks
Click on Attachments Tab a bottom of screen
Click Add Files button
Select your file to attach - (note file size maximum)
Sam
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

I seem to remember that the factory went back to the felt covered wire filter,I'Ve got one in my garage somewhere that came with the bits and pieces that John Drudge gave me when he sold me his Model 31, the filter is the later one piece type and I think the club as them, off course I may be wrong on that account.
MikeM.
stan man

Post by stan man »

MikeM. wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 am I seem to remember that the factory went back to the felt covered wire filter,I'Ve got one in my garage somewhere that came with the bits and pieces that John Drudge gave me when he sold me his Model 31, the filter is the later one piece type and I think the club as them, off course I may be wrong on that account.
MikeM.
Cannot find one in parts list , only seem to be able to buy just the felt but not the unit anywhere . Thanks for the Info
Taid

Post by Taid »

Samuel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:40 pm
stan man wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:28 pm Have photo of existing but can't work out how to insert it ??
Thanks
Click on Attachments Tab a bottom of screen
Click Add Files button
Select your file to attach - (note file size maximum)
Think you may need to click 'full editor' first .. and after adding then click 'place inline'
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, my 1961 G12 had the same gauze filter with no felt which to the best of my knowledge was correct for that year. I fitted one with a felt around the gauze which I was told the factory went to at some point after 1961. Both types were made as a unit with the filter part attached to the large chrome hexagonal screw in head. I bought the later one from the club spares scheme some years ago.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

1960 to 63 filters are not currently available. Having experienced the collapsed filter due to mesh clogging despite regular cleaning I've had a replaceable felt filter unit made with assistance from Steve which will be for sale via the parts service. The assembly has been up and running in my 63 CSR without any issues. It has multiple parts in it's construction but will be sold as a complete replacement item. The special short filter will be made and stocked for replacement as and when required.
Not sure when it'll become available but it won't be too long.