G80S vibration, clutch wobble?

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AstecFlyer

G80S vibration, clutch wobble?

Post by AstecFlyer »

Hi from a newbie. Recently acquired a G80S and loving it but whilst I thought the ride and vibration were ok at first, I now think that vibration has got really bad. Seems to be worse as you increase revs and it is felt through footpegs, bars and seat/tank. I've been looking through old posts on here for ideas and some useful stuff popped up about clutch wobble and bent mainshafts.
I've had the chaincase off and can see the clutch basket/sprocket has play in it, much like in vincentvv's post and video from 2015, although not as bad.
Wondering if this could be the cause of my problem, any ideas? Checked engine mounts, head steady, tank mounts, steering head play etc.
Any info gratefully received.
Cheers.
Trefor

Re: G80S vibration, clutch wobble?

Post by Trefor »

They do vibrate quite a bit especially in comparison to modern bikes. I would judge the problem by whether the vibration goes in cycles corresponding to the road speed in top gear. For instance my G80S vibrates around 50-55mph but 'smooths out' at 60mph. I think with those heavy flywheels and a big piston whizzing around (sorry to sound like a Jonah) they would be a more likely source of an out of balance vibration.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Gareth.
It would seem that you've probably read all the posts that there are wrt the many possible sources of vibration.
As you are no doubt aware, engines are not (cannot be) balanced for minimum vibration at all revs and like Trefor's, my my single runs into its sweet spot at about 55 to 60 and thereafter runs like a turbine.
It's very difficult to describe 'normal' levels so a practical move would be to get someone at your local section with a similar bike to have a ride on yours and give their opinion or for you to cadge a ride on theirs.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I agree with Spriddler. Get a ride off a club member at your local section. Just a ride round a car park should show if something is wrong. Section meets are excellent for trouble shooting and passing on information.

Good luck with your new bike
AstecFlyer

Post by AstecFlyer »

Thanks for the replies, chaps. All info is appreciated as I'm a total newcomer to these machines.
I recognise that there will likely be noticeable vibration compared to modern bikes but my query was prompted because on initial riding I thought vibration wasn't too bad and there was a sweet spot around 50-55mph. Maybe I'm just more in tune with the bike as I get used to it and more aware of things but I feel like it is worse as revs increase. If I pootle around at low revs it seems tolerable so I'm managing it like that for now.
Will be popping over to my local section meeting next week so will definitely get the benefit of their expertise then.
I'm really pleased with the bike and am looking forward to fettling it.
Every day's a school day, lol.