Front stand

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Invicta

Front stand

Post by Invicta »

Can anyone please give me the correct position of the front stand mounting on my 1949 Model 18 Does it fit inside or outside of the fork sliders? My front stand which is original is half way between. I can bend it out to fit outside or in to fit inside. I have looked at numerous pictures on line and some seem to be fitted inside and some outside. Which way is correct please? Also where do the double coil spring washers fit?
g80csp11

Re: Front stand

Post by g80csp11 »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
page 68 illustration suggest inside but i could be wrong !
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

I had a look at that illustration , but it was not very clear. Looking at photographs of assembled bikes it appears that 7 out of 10 have it on the outside.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Heavily reading between the lines the part number for the front stand changed from 12403 in 1947 to 011286 in 1948 could this also infer a change in the fixing at the fork sliders? It would line up with the brake cable adjuster moving from the fork slider so perhaps allowing the stay/stand to be positioned outside.
Just looked at the Bacon Restoration book on page 179 and the 1948 brake picture clearly shows the stand/stay mounted outside.
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Thanks for that Duncan. I have heated it and opened it up to fit on the outside of the fork sliders.