1961 AJS350. 16

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Peter Wilkinson

Re: 1961 AJS350. 16

Post by Peter Wilkinson »

dave16mct wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 pm Use the valve lifter to stop the engine.
Dave.
Hi Dave, Thanks for the info, Is that the official way with the SR1 mag or should there be another ? I can see that would work ok. just expected a button or something.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes that's the official way to stop a single with a magneto.
Dave.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Each to their own. There should be an external screw with an aluminium, green, ID plate on the side nearest the barrel when fitted (although a lot of these are missing). I removed this plate and ran a wire through to the handlebars and fitted a kill button which earths the mag and stops the engine.

I found it more more convenient than the valve lifter.

More to the point, fitting an SR1 would involve changing the arrangement on the timing side of the engine to provide for a chain drive etc. I think you're better off to get the standard points setup etc. and sell of the SR1 to fund the cost; I've two spare SR1's already! Might be worth speaking with Steve Surbey at AMC Classics for used parts?

Johnny B
clive

Post by clive »

Some magnetos can have an earth wire attached but that is generally for twins, the singles were stopped using the valve lifter. As for trying to do a build from a box of bits, it is possible but you may well end up discarding a number of parts. Advertising through the club website may well enable you to get the correct bits and to sell the wrong bits. This discussion of the SR1 mag is a point in question they were never fitted to a 61 model 16 but would be of interest owners of mid 50s singles. Given the challenge ahead I am a little surprised you started with searching for the oil capacity for the primary chaincase.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

As I said, each to their own. I'll stick with the kill switch and use the valve lifter for starting. I found a kill switch particularly useful when I've fallen off!!! Of course, some people never do fall off.

I understand that it does introduce a little added opportunity for false cut out and starting problems but that hasn't occurred for me at all, regardless of weather conditions.

Johnny B

PS apologies for not mentioning the Club parts for sale option!