leaking jampot 1955 G3LCS

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
jimh

leaking jampot 1955 G3LCS

Post by jimh »

Just noticed oil weeping/leaking around the thread where the bottom pivot screws onto the lower outer tube of the suspension unit, can somebody tell me does this indicate a complete rebuild of the unit?
Thanks Jim
dave16mct

Re: leaking jampot 1955 G3LCS

Post by dave16mct »

No, you can unscrew the bottom alloy pivot and replace the lower fibre washer and put some sealant/ PTFE tape on the thread. The hardest part can be unscrewing the pivot, may need some heat.
Dave.
jimh

Post by jimh »

Dave, thanks for the prompt reply, will give it a go and check the sealing washers, part number 016324, have noted your comment about the Pivot being tight.
Jim
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

It's a lot of years since I did this job but just do a search on it. I recall that unless care is taken to avoid putting a lever between the legs of the pivot, in order to unscrew it, there can be a fracture. It's tempting but could be costly?

Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Several articles on servicing Jampots here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Suspension/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
anthony kosecki

Post by anthony kosecki »

Have just rebuilt my two jampots and strongly agree with the recommendation to heat the pivot (I even went so far as to put an ice collar around the tube). Recommend borrowing/begging/making circular clamp for the tube to prevent scoring/scratching.
jimh

Post by jimh »

Thanks again for the advice, will study the various articles on the Jampots before I start.
Cheers Jim
Jdraper

Post by Jdraper »

Just started using the side stand for my 18S, rather than the centre stand and noted that there is a dribble of oil down both the Jampots. Oil seals gone? To be honest, I was surprised there was still oil in them! They were last rebuilt by Joe Francis in the 80's.

Any idea who can take on repairs?

Jeremy
jimh

Post by jimh »

Hi Jeremy
You don't say where the leak is from, but assuming it's as mine was from the thread where the bottom pivot screws on to the leg, the advice I had to replace the bottom fibre washer and put PTFE tape on the thread worked a treat, heed the warnings about using heat and the bar in the pivot 'legs'.
Jim
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It's unlikely that the bottom pivot joint is the culprit, if it were it would leak on the centre or side stand. It's more likely to be a slight leak past the main oil seal pooling in the bottom cover and dripping out when parked at an angle. Leave it for a while and see if it persists.

Regards Mick