glazed brake linings

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
allanmg9

glazed brake linings

Post by allanmg9 »

1954 g3ls rear brake linings (riveted) with lots of depth left but very glazed and rather ineffective anybody had success in deglazing them somehow.
thanks in anticipation . Allan
Mick D

Re: glazed brake linings

Post by Mick D »

Hi Allan

De-grease the drums and stick strips of wet and dry to them with double sided tape, re-assemble the brake and apply lightly whilst rotating the wheel.

Remove abrasive / clean up and the job's a good un. Damp down any dust produced before removal as it may contain asbestos - wear gloves and a face mask filter ;)

Regards Mick
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have only ever cleaned drum & linings with petrol. assuming the drums are then clean and rust free, just rub up the linings a bit with wet & dry / fine sand paper. The brakes may still not be that good. So ride with brakes on until you feel them start to bite. Also do this if the bike has been standing a few weeks.

Post by 1608 »

I believe linings will automatically glaze with use. The glaze may appear to cause slippage ( and be counter intuitive ) but it actually acts to create maximum contact by friction. Apart from the curvature of new linings eventually matching that of the drum, braking improves as the linings glaze. The same principle applies to clutch linings.....IMHO.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Allan,
Over time the linings become hard and ineffective.
I have experienced a very poor braking with linings that looked quite new.
I got a huge improvement following this advice :

?Post by g5wqian » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:59 am

hi Jean ;
if you want better braking with standard brakes you can send some old shoes suitable for re-lining to VILLIERS SERVICES and get their soft linings bonded on .
these should stop your bike .
its not expensive , around £27 per pair , all you need to do is to send the shoes to them with details of what bike its for and ask for soft linings for road use .
Kind regards.