Front wheel spindle

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
willowbedone

Front wheel spindle

Post by willowbedone »

Today I had to adjust the front brake on my 1956 g80 New shoes had bedded in 'so had put the washers in place on the shoes .When I put the wheel back in the spindle now is not level with the bottom fork leg clamp but pokes out about half an inch .Checked the same on the g12 which is level with the fork leg .But when I measure the distance between the bottom sliders the g80 forks are not as wide as the g12 ones Is this correct or should look further
THANKS IAN
SPRIDDLER

Re: Front wheel spindle

Post by SPRIDDLER »

willowbedone wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pm When I put the wheel back in the spindle now is not level with the bottom fork leg clamp but pokes out about half an inch .
Hi Ian.
Did you notice whether the spindle protruded 1/2" before you replaced the brake shoes?
Are the forks legs parallel or do they close together a bit at the bottom. Maybe they were eased apart by whoever last fitted the wheel.
I've just measured a couple of pairs of Teledraulics which are 7" between the centre line of each slider (not easy to measure between the bottom end caps with wheels in place).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

Hi Neville
Hope your well
Sadly I did not check it at all before I removed the wheel. Today I took it all apart and cleaned/ re greased the bearings Reassembled it as described in the Manuel It's now fine Maybe as we used to say when I worked on the spanners ITS THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL .
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

willowbedone wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:48 pm Hi Neville
Hope your well
Sadly I did not check it at all before I removed the wheel. Today I took it all apart and cleaned/ re greased the bearings Reassembled it as described in the Manuel It's now fine Maybe as we used to say when I worked on the spanners ITS THE NUT BEHIND THE WHEEL .
Yep, fine thanks Ian.
Glad it's O.K. now.
I use Resto Ray's explanation when anything doesn't seem quite right:............ "It's just the newness of it".

(But in fairness to his commitment to detail he does check and do it again until he's satisfied with the result).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
raffles

Post by raffles »

Check that the brake plate is not now further into the hub it sounds like you have the nut that is under the brake plate
wound down to far. The brake plate should line up with the hub not sit down in it
Tony