Top Speed

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

No " Triumphs" have been made after 1970.
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

At the risk of being hung.Triumph's lost the plot in 1954 when they ruined the sweet revvy 5T and Tiger 100 engine with big journal cranks and penny pinchin production engineering snots doubling as accountants. dont get me going on Triumphs a prime example of world beating British goods being slowly chewed up and systematically spat out by greedy clueless donks masquerading as innovative ,progressive engineers. "Lets all Listen to what our customers want"its back to what i said in my other post today people will always want better or what they think is better, but its got to be cheap. sorry if I've offended any one but i do like Triumphs only the early ones.
The piston ring King
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

By the way i've built about dozen pre-unit motors and only 1 unitso perhaps that helps decide where i'm at with stuff made at coventry
The piston ring King
Don Madden

Top Speed

Post by Don Madden »

Interesting opinions, but I have to go. It is a national holiday, (Labor Day, when no one works), my mate has arrived, & we are off for a ride on our non-Triumph Hinkley Bonnies.

Ta-Ta! Don.
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

I like the unit 650s
not many know how to put them together and the spares available are carp.
Thats the problem. Plus smart alec kerbside mechanics

1966 6T lovely sweet bike
1969/70 T120/ TR6 best of all.

As for motor builds on the units Rick, probably over 500 , for various Police forces
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

I'm surprised your still sane after that many i cant even look at one! uuuurrrrrgggh
The piston ring King
kernow kid

Top Speed

Post by kernow kid »

Sorry for the pedancy folks..but if you all really like your modern Triumphs, as you say, then Im sure you are all aware that the factory is in HinCkley...my 885 Tiger is just fine..still manages to offer some character whilst having enough go to keep me smiling.
Reminds me of a story from a guy who used to run a bike shop during the 60s and 70s...
'The Triumph owners would come in and ask for a new front brake cable......the BSA owners would shuffle in and wonder if we had a second hand one kicking about.....'

History does of course repeat itself...who of us between the ages of 35 and 45 didnt buy/get offered a Yamaha Fizzy for £20 in the early 80's..and now see what they make! Best of all, seen in a classic car mag, at auction, immaculate 'A' reg Citroen 2CV..went for....wait for it....over £5000!!!
Will someone please introduce me to foolish rich people so I can have a go at parting the two...sigh.

Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Rick.Edwards
Deceased

Top Speed

Post by Rick.Edwards »

FS1E's after school hobby was wreckin em in fields they seemed to last longer than the cubs and bantams we had.
The piston ring King
itma

Top Speed

Post by itma »

2CV's were tipped long ago as one to keep hold of, but they need to be good ones,altho here in UK they sell all you need to put them right,even sending galvanised chassis to France
I had a couple, AK 400 van versions, loved them, wish I still had one.
brilliant vehicles, drive them like a bike, foot hard onthe deck to get it wound up, and just wiggle the gear stick.
If you get some wannabe up your RS, push it hard enough to lift one of the rear wheels off the ground, that makes them hold back
I even rammed a plain clothes police Marina van in one,
but thats a three bottle yarn

Vincent owners would ask for a front brake cable and spend hours arguing over the price, even the 1955 price.

My yarn about my involvment of the disposal of the fantastic hoard of Vincent spares ex the basement of Jollys the Panther agent in Lewisham is a yarn worth a 12 bottle case, still makes me larf,
Oh my... how they cried.......
don't get me going on it.
kernow kid

Top Speed

Post by kernow kid »

Fortunately(?)...due to the unique way in which my bike hobby is funded..I dont give a tuppenny stuff as to the origins of bits for my Ajay..hence its petrol tank that originated from a Honda CG125.
Sorry itma, whilst I agree its a shame as to the way many bikes and bits departed this mortal coil, i'll just find summat that fits, looks passable and lets me ride the bugger!

KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...