what is this thing even worth?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Wayne Cole

what is this thing even worth?

Post by Wayne Cole »

I bought the bike for a grand, what are these actually worth, and now coming in the post a good few N.O.S parts to complete the bike, what do I actually have here?
20220829_165835.jpg
20220829_165835.jpg
20220829_165835.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: what is this thing even worth?

Post by clive »

a rather nice rigid model. Pretty good too only issue I can spot is lack of rear stand and I am suspicious of the brackets at the bottom of the seat springs. Value of a good 350 seems to be around £3,000 at the moment with the rigids of this period selling for more as they are rarer.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

clive wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:01 pm a rather nice rigid model. Pretty good too only issue I can spot is lack of rear stand and I am suspicious of the brackets at the bottom of the seat springs. Value of a good 350 seems to be around £3,000 at the moment with the rigids of this period selling for more as they are rarer.
oh springs are definitely not original, the whole seat is a replacement but I can see where the period correct springs would mount directly into the frame. as far as I can tell everything is original apart from seat and hand painted pinstriping on tank, I will get the tank repainted and period correct stripes re-done. cheers clive, and the bike is priceless to me, it's fate! British man in sweden finds and British bike in the middle of nowhere in a jumble sale? no less than fate surely...
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

So obviously it is a Matchless G3L 350cc. The engine looks to be between 1951 and 1953 as it has the front facing magneto, but not the auto advance. What's the engine number? And what's the frame number (right side of the bike under the saddle)?.

Seat cover (maybe entire seat) looks new, but it looks like a pretty good replica. Seat springs definitely have the wrong attachment type at the bottom and somebody has had to fabricate an adapter to get them to fit.

Good find though, worth well over £1,000
Wayne Cole

Post by Wayne Cole »

AndrewM wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:28 am So obviously it is a Matchless G3L 350cc. The engine looks to be between 1951 and 1953 as it has the front facing magneto, but not the auto advance. What's the engine number? And what's the frame number (right side of the bike under the saddle)?.

Seat cover (maybe entire seat) looks new, but it looks like a pretty good replica. Seat springs definitely have the wrong attachment type at the bottom and somebody has had to fabricate an adapter to get them to fit.

Good find though, worth well over £1,000
hi mate, I didn't see your reply until now. engine is dated 1953, frame is dated 1953 so same year unfortunately not a matching numbers bike, how much does that matter to value anyway? seat is new yeah and those attachments have now been painted black to stand out less. I always thought there was something missing in middle of the frame "air" and I always wondered what that hole was in frame above primary, A HORN OF COURSE! cannot find the right bracket to fit the horn I have bought, as you can see from this pic the mount just isn't right, it should bolt right onto the horn at the back and not just held in place, looked at AMOC parts and the "9 degree" bracket still look too wide? the only brackets I can find are with Horn mounting holes separation : 102mm. my match is just awful even in a google search! how does 90 degrees compare to 102mm? cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Wayne, it looks like your horn is more inspired by the original horn than a faithful reproduction, I doubt if you will find a copy of the original bracket to suit, it probably has a single rear mounting stud and nut if you fabricated a sturdy straight or L bracket it should not look too out of place.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I bought a "genuine" reproduction Altette horn for my AJS M18 a while back. I needed a bracket so I bought a stainless one from an on-line vendor. That was subsequently powder coated gloss black and both were fitted onto the bike. They went together perfectly.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185589334610 ... Sw8lpZGvr6
18S_2910-small.jpg
18S_2911-small.jpg
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.