AMC badged spanners

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
clive

AMC badged spanners

Post by clive »

On one of the facebook spares sites there have recently been for sale some spanners marked A.M.C. It included a few useful spanners two of which marked as such and were not expensive (they have gone now). I have never seen an original AJS/Matchless toolkit but I did wonder if these tools were actually from the American Motors Corporation. So are there any of you "bought it new" owners who can confirm if the toolkit had spanners marked AMC for Associated Motor Cycles? If so why are they not turning up on Ebay? I did buy an AJS spanner a while back I assume from from the Stevens period of AJS and its a weird size, does not seem to be either Whitworth or AF.

edit just looked at ebay and there are some spanners marked AMC, but at silly prices.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Re: AMC badged spanners

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clive wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:20 am I did buy an AJS spanner a while back...........does not seem to be either Whitworth or AF.
:thumbup: Should fit fine on your rounded off fastenings then.

-------------------------------

Some of the Archive spares manuals show tools but they are only line-drawn illustrations.

I found this pic on the Web but I've no idea whether it really is AMC. Even when I've enlarged it I can't make out the marking on them.

Tool kit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

If they are American they would be AF. I have an AMC marked spanner, that is Whitworth, so they must have been supplied.

Les (Russell Motors) has some tools hanging on the wall in his shop, I think they are the flat ones, like 2nd from right in Nevilles picture, might be worth having a butchers next time you're passing Clive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterH

Post by PeterH »

My 1954 Matchless 350 which is for sale at Kettering has the original tool kit in the leather tool bag.
and they are marked AMC. Hope this might help .
clive

Post by clive »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:49 am
clive wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:20 am I did buy an AJS spanner a while back...........does not seem to be either Whitworth or AF.
:thumbup: Should fit fine on your rounded off fastenings then.
nah I have got an adjustable for them.

So it seems my 4 toolkits spread across my bikes are lacking in the original tools, still at the prices being asked on ebay they are going to remain unmarked!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Further to PeterH’s reply, the 1959 Matchless all models instruction manual shows line drawings of all tools and AMC can clearly be seen on some of the spanners.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Someone selling spanners at Beaulieu autojumble this past weekend mentioned that he had some AMC spanners, although I didn't see them.