CS Tank and seat

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Seven13

CS Tank and seat

Post by Seven13 »

Canada calling again. It looks like I will be doing restoration by forum as I can't find answers to my questions in the "books". Machine is a '58 G12 motor and 60 CSR frame being built to CS specs. 4 questions today, the first is regarding the mounting rubber bungs at the front of the CS peanut tank. In my basket case there is a box of rubber bungs as follows: 2 at 1 1/2", 2 at 5/8", 2 shouldered bolts 2" long, 2 steel inserts 3/4". Should I be using the long and the short rubbers but with a longer bolt, or use the two shorter bungs as shown in the manual.
2nd question is regarding the CS seat. Brand new and magnificent from RK Leighton. Fits nicely at the front and the two support brackets sit nicely on the cross bar. But when the bridge support is put in place it lifts the seat up 3/8". Is this right. Second there is a cross strap at the back of the seat with two threaded bolts which do not appear to line up with anything. But in the book it mentions taking the seat off and removing the two bolts. What do they attach to?
3rd the rear mudguard loop 023208 had two downward facing tabs, obvious for mudguard mounting, and a double tab facing upwards fore and aft on the loop. What are they for? I have the club CS number plate 025318 and wonder if this is supposed to fit there. On the number plate there is one mounting hole at the bottom, but not one at the top. Am I missing something.
Almost too much to digest, but right now i am stymied on the cycle parts going forward.

Many thanks for your help.

Tony
ajscomboman

Re: CS Tank and seat

Post by ajscomboman »

Sounds like there is a mixture of different year parts. Pictures would assist.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

This CS doesn't have a bridge, the Leighton seat fixes to the crossbar and at the rear to the mudguard.
IMG_20220907_122214.jpg
IMG_20220907_122436.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220907_122309.jpg
This G12 has a bridge, the seat fixes to the crossbar and just sits on the bridge and mudguard, not bolted to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I found it a tricky business getting the seat, bridge, loop and mudguard to all line up, but got there in the end :)
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220907_123422.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I've used different heights of rubbers in combination with different lengths of bolts to get the tank sitting nicely just so it looks right
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The seat base has 2' V' shaped cut-outs which sit either side of the bridge support. Perhaps your's isn't sitting down far enough or your bridge support isn't in the right place. You should be able to pivot it a bit to fit better. The 2 fixings on the strap bolt through the mudguard. There should be sheet steel reinforcement underneath (and at other fixing points.) They weren't available when I built my CS so I made the seatbase and sent it to Leightons to be upholstered. So I used quick release stainless clips at the back and it hooks under a brace at the front. I can remove it a few seconds.
Dave.ImageImageImage
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I can remove it a few seconds
I wish... Mine is off at the moment to get the tank off to get the head off. Took forever to get the nuts off the bolts in the cross bar 1/12 of a turn at a time 🤔 I'm going to modify it when I put it back