New member looking for 81CUO AJS 500 Twin?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bfw

New member looking for 81CUO AJS 500 Twin?

Post by bfw »

Afternoon,

Hope you are all well?

I am looking for my dad's old 500 Twin, any tips on how to look? Is there a register of club members bikes?

I am thinking of buying a similar model, but it would be lovely for my Dad to visit or at least see some photo's of his old bike. Any help would be much appreciated.

Next question, is a 500 Twin a good point into the classic bike ownership? Advice please. I am pretty good diy car restorer over the years and have a lot of good engineering skills. I am just thinking a classic Brit bike would be a lot easier to own and store etc.

Mark
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: New member looking for 81CUO AJS 500 Twin?

Post by Eamonn »

Hello Mark, the club does not hold a register of member's bikes so the best option we can suggest is to first search the DVLA records to see if the registration number is still in use, also to check it's still attached to a motorcycle (and not on another vehicle), then secondly write a letter to the club magazine editor for inclusion in the Jampot. Although there are nearly 700 active members using the Forum there are many others whose primary contact is the magazine.

Take a look in the "Where are they now" section (under the "Forums" heading on this page) to see the references to the DVLA systems.
Corners like a Lego man
bfw

Post by bfw »

Thank you. I have checked DVLA and it was MOT'ed from 2016 back to 2005 and its showing as the right model - Model 20 AJS, and all the cc and dates look good.

I will do as you say and see if can get a letter printed. I will dig out some photos to add from BitD
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It is also taxed and insured so probably being used, or at least still being cherished.
bfw wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:08 pm Next question, is a 500 Twin a good point into the classic bike ownership?
I'm no expert on Twins but the 500's have a good reputation for being robust. I believe the same basic engine was enlarged later (bored out/longer stroke) to 600 and 650cc.
Obviously a twin is a bit more complex than a 500 single but they're pretty straightforward and you can find original Owners Manuals, Workshop Manuals and Spares Lists in the Archive under 'Books' in the link here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

bfw wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:07 pm Thank you. I have checked DVLA and it was MOT'ed from 2016 back to 2005 and its showing as the right model - Model 20 AJS, and all the cc and dates look good.
It also shows as taxed, due for renewal May 23, so someone may be using it, changed hands possibly in 2019 (or the owner moved?)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Groily

Post by Groily »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:25 pm
bfw wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:08 pm Next question, is a 500 Twin a good point into the classic bike ownership?
I'm no expert on Twins but they have a good reputation for being robust. I believe the same basic engine was enlarged later (bored out/longer stroke) to 600 and 650cc.
Having had a 500 since the mid-1970s in continuous use, I'd say they were robust and a most excellent route into classic ownership.
Didn't buy mine as a classic of course, back then . . . I bought it as daily transport. It served very well for a good few years in that role. I lived at that time about half way between Hamrax and Russell Motors, so was perfectly situated!
They have foibles, like all old machines, but not too many of them. The ones they do suffer from don't usually bring them to a halt. A good engine will do an extremely respectable mileage between full overhauls and spares aren't too hard to find (mostly). Mine has the Burman 'box, which is jewel-like, but the AMCs are good too. I have three of those 'boxes on other machines.
Can't think of a better general purpose classic twin. Soft enough for pootling, sharp enough to run at 55mph all day with plenty in hand, and reasonably comfortable if the jampots are not seized. Bits stay attached, most of the oil stays inside most of the time and they are very easy to start. A centre stand from our President is the icing on the cake. Also relatively affordable still, so they are good value.