Did the Welsh Jampot Rally happen?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Reynard24

Re: Did the Welsh Jampot Rally happen?

Post by Reynard24 »

Did anyone else notice how good the road surface was in rural Wales compared to the pot-holed cart (lorry) tracks we have to put up with in the supposedly affluent south and east of England?
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

Reynard24 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:55 pm Did anyone else notice how good the road surface was in rural Wales compared to the pot-holed cart (lorry) tracks we have to put up with in the supposedly affluent south and east of England?
Because they realised they need good transport links even for the tourists, that was the word I had a few years ago. A roads get tarmac, small B&C roads get tar and gravel.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Very interesting. I dropped round to Thrifty Peter's this afternoon and he was also saying how noticeable it was that the road conditions were better in Wales than just a few miles into England.
We hypothesised that out of towns the properties are generally widely spaced, thus it was uneconomic to lay main drains between them so septic tanks were commonly used, similarly gas mains so wood was burned or bulk oil or propane tanks were installed and maybe wells or water storage tanks rather than a network of pipes, plus phone and electricity is generally provided by overhead cabling, hence roads are not being constantly dug up for repairs etc. by numerous utility companies. It may also be a factor the due to the thin topsoil and hard rock under it's very demanding and expensive to dig trenches in which to bury all the services.

(It's odd what old men natter about in sheds).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Surely it’s because the SAS need good roads to get to the Black Mountains! So it’s us who are paying.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thoroughly enjoyed the rally. There's always something to nitpick at but I won't. It was good.

Shame I hadn't re-assembled the Matchless yet but 821 miles attending and returning from the rally albeit on the Yamahaha. No incidents.........................................................................except the exhaust started blowing and I had to fit the earplugs I carry but rarely use. What a racket. The Police van I passed on the M1 didn't take any notice. Return trip weather some of the worst for me so far although I suppose the wind maybe could've been stronger. Reminded me of returning from the "Wet One" IJR.

Great to see everyone.

JohnnyB
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Looking for a needle in long grass.
666E752F-BE65-438B-A9D4-4957D0D34D0E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

It was good to see you John even though you were on a Yamaha. I was surprised to see so much traffic 0n the A40 going east on Monday morning. things improved once I reached the M4.
MikeM.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Many thanks to Gary and friends for a very pleasant rally. :beer:
Cheers Dave.