face cam on lucas mag

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
century

face cam on lucas mag

Post by century »

just wondering if any body has a pic of the face cam on the n 1,trying to build one up and the bits i have wont move it to advance,think this may have been off a stationary motor,got the bits to advance and retard just need the plate,cheers dave
bodgie dave
Groily

Re: face cam on lucas mag

Post by Groily »

The Lucas parts lists for N1s and or MO1 magdynos show the - same - thing (left and right handed mind depending on rotation, and also notched according to whether the AR cable is one side or t'other of the points) - but they do come in more than one thickness which the lists don't say.
Basically, a hardened steel disc with a depression for 'points closed' and a couple of notches - in the right places. But not an easy 'make' due to the ramps having to be correct plus the hardening aspect - don't ask me how I know!
A fat one might not move when assembled, a thin one where a fat one's needed will chatter under the circlip and ruin the points gap due to the pushrod moving axially. 'Too thin' can usually be sorted with a shim behind - going the other way you'd need to spend some time (quite a lot maybe) with a piece of plate glass and some grinding paste.
A worn one might let the plunger escape its notch though - or a worn plunger might escape anyway. A plunger of the right length is needed - Lucas made 2 I think. This setting can also depend on how the eccentric 'stop' pin adjuster is set. Compromise may be necessary to maintain proper plunger operation at the price of a sub-optimal position for points opening at full advance (which is what matters).

Most N1s for stationary engines have no advance, so it's not that I don't think. I think it's a 'thickness' thing.
century

Post by century »

gday mate,thanks for that,mine is now a right side adjuster,have some plates but recon they are for forward mounted adjuster,mine is clockwise rotation,cheers ,dave
bodgie dave
century

Post by century »

found one today,back togeather and spark that will stun a buff,here all the time
bodgie dave