Where was the Matchless & AJS factory?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Joker_Bones

Where was the Matchless & AJS factory?

Post by Joker_Bones »

I was looking at an instruction book today and noticed the address of the factory inside the cover.
I knew it was Plumstead, but wondered where exactly was it and I'm a sucker for old maps and aerial photos:
Map.JPG
Photo.JPG
I like the way the arsenal north of Plumstead Road is not shown on the map... I guess you would have needed a German map for that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Re: Where was the Matchless & AJS factory?

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hope this will do
pic_amc_site_development.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Yes... I always am fascinated the way places change.
I have looked at old maps and aerial photos for where I live.
You pay little attention to the changes as they happen, but when you look back you realise how much it has changed.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Feast on the history, factory interior, exterior and staff photos, plus first-hand memories, anecdotes and much more in this link:

http://archives.jampot.dk/general/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Yes... I have dipped in and out of the contents of that archive... but nowhere near all of it.
I remember the photo looking down the hill with the factory filling the background, but didn't realise until I found the aerial photo that much of what appears to be the top of the factory is the arsenal beyond.
amc-plumstead-698x570.jpg
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Looking at the OS extract there are 7 Pubs (PH) and two clubs in the immediate area, its a wonder anything got built at all
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Here's a few pics
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Spares & Service dept, on the other side of Burrage Grove, along with the Race Shop.

I take it you've seen Bill and Peter's excellent website? http://www.workingatamc.london
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

I have seen the working at amc website... Like the Danish archives, not all of it, I will revisit.

I like the picture of the testers outside the factory. I have seen it in black & white but I partculary like the colour, tinted?, version. Where did you find it, do you have a link to it?
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

No link to the colour 'tester' pic I'm afraid, and I don't know where I got it, nor who colourised it. It's been on my computer for ages, same goes for the Motorcycle Sport picture. The photo of a photo, came from Russell Motors wall, and the Spares dept pic is the the front cover of an old magazine I have.

There are remarkably few pictures of the AMC factory to be found, if you search BSA factory there are hundreds of them!