Fork dismantle

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Fork dismantle

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, hope all is well, I had my forks rebuilt about 30 years ago and they have been sitting in the shed and never put on the bike . I have started to dismantle due to paint needing re doing , the seals going hard and the tubes rusted in . Can anyone tell me how the chrome tube attaches to the bottom of the fork leg. The diagrams suggest they screw in but I have sprayed with penetrine , let them soak for a couple of days and have just tried heat. I cannot get them to move. I am hoping that someone can point me in the right direction . Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Re: Fork dismantle

Post by clive »

Yes they screw in and can be difficult to shift. you could try an oil filter strap wrench applied just above the join to prevent distortion. I have been successful applying heat from a blow torch rather than a hot air gun but you need to keep it moving. The paint job will suffer. If they were painted with the extensions in place the risk is that paint will have been drawn down the thread by capillary action and could be locking it all up, good luck.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Steve64

Re: Fork dismantle

Post by Steve64 »

Wow Clive , first of all thanks for the quick reply, that's awesome, the bottom of the fork legs need re painting and the chrome tubes need re chroming anyway so I will have a go at that. Again thanks for the reply, as always , very helpful.
Cheers mate , Steve.