Mini Lathe for the workshop ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Mini Lathe for the workshop ..

Post by Taid »

Not strictly AMC related, so, mods, if outside the bounds, advise me and I will delete ..

Since I first worked a lathe, as an apprentice at Joe Lucas's in Brummijum, I've yearned for a Myford ML 7 ..

Still can't really justify spending the price that even second-hand ones fetch, with the little bit I would use it, but I now see there are a number of mini lathes on the market from £50 (no I don't think I want to go that low) right up to the price of the desired ML7.

Can anyone recommend (or, at least say how satisfied they are with) a particular model.

To have milling ability would be nice ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Andy.S

Re: Mini Lathe for the workshop ..

Post by Andy.S »

Hi
My friend has a VEVOR Mini Lathe and has been very happy with it.
See link below.

https://www.vevor.co.uk/metal-lathe-c_1 ... 0631544716
Taid

Post by Taid »

Andy.S wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:49 pm Hi
My friend has a VEVOR Mini Lathe and has been very happy with it.
Thank you, A.S

I've been looking at VEVOR adverts .. the reviews are very strange .. 4 star or more, but the wording of the reviews are more in line with 2 or 3 stars ..

Anyway, more food for thought ..

I see there's a ML7 and cabinet at a good price, but it's buyer collect at Pulborough, 200 miles away and I would need a van or a trailer..
___

bitza

Post by bitza »

If you need a van try Sutton Maddock for hire prices.
Groily

Post by Groily »

I don't know about the various imports, but I do know that I have been more than happy with my Myford, for over 20 years now. Accurate, very durable, easy to use, and well worth the few hundred squid it cost - plus extras for enhanced capability it should be admitted, like independent 4-jaw chuck, steady, some collets etc. Everything it says on the tin, confirmed by a zillion users over the years.
From what seems to be out there, I think it would be quite hard to do better than a (well-cared for) Myford 7 or Super-7.

In today's context, where a simple engine rebuild done DIY will easily go into 4 figures (and hurt!), the investment of probably rather less than that seems to me to be worth every penny.

I also recently was given a long round-bed Drummond from way back when - I think a modern tool from China or wherever would be quite a bit easier to use, but all the same, that 100 yr old thing is well-made and does much of what most of us would ever want - if one is patient. Horses for courses - simple turning is one thing but nadgery stuff calls probably for better than some of the basic low cost offerings can provide.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I have a Warco 180 and did consider a larger 250 model but didn't have the space and quite frankly don't have the ability to do much. The 180 has proved fine for my requirements but I did invest in some quality tooling which makes life easier along with a quick change tool post and adjustable centre holding blocks.
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have an old early 1950' boxford rear drive on their basic cabinet. I used these in school many years ago and while it is a bit worn it does all I need, I would like a later under drive one as it takes up a little less space from the garage wall. Loads of accessories are available but the prices seem to be going up and accessories can be expensive, so if you are buying a lathe always look for one with as many additions as possible. I also inherited a unimat small lathe but that is only useful for quite small stuff but it does have a milling attachment! I have always been glad I bought the boxford, a lathe is one of the most useful tool I have. Hope the above helps, good hunting, LynP
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks guys, most informative .. I think I will probably go for a Myford (my first desire) if I can find one at a right price and preferably local .. (no rush, I've already been waiting over 70 years ;)

Its more wish fulfilment than desperate need, though there are a couple of small jobs I'd like to get done ..

Thanks again

T
___

alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I doubt if you would be happy with anything other than the Myford. I think they are over rated and over expensive but worth a lot more than the small import lathes that are going around nowadays.
Just keep looking and asking and one will turn up at the right price.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Thre was a Myfofd ML 7 lathe for sale in this months Old Bike Mart , with 2 chucks,face plate, change gears , plus cabinet and some accessories asking price £ 450. 00.