Rigid G80 oil pipe couplings

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jim griff

Rigid G80 oil pipe couplings

Post by jim griff »

Hi all,

after a recent issue with a new oil tank filter post an oil change causing a pressure build up in the return line (spilt the rubber hose once on a run out & blew the replacement off within 2 mile on the same run. I spent a few moments mulling this over when I decided to remove the new filter and gingerly ride the bike home, with no further probelms, root cause thus having been established as the new filter). I've thrown the "new" filter in the bin, cleaned and replaced the original one (different design, less material on the ends of the filter, which I suspect caused the issue?)

Since this episode I've decided to return the bike (1950 Rigid G80) back to original, with copper oil pipes, unions, brass nipples and short rubber pipes, as a previous owner had fitted rubber pipes throughout, appart from the engine union & tank couplings. Upon removing the pipes & union, I found that the return pipe union pipe had a flared end, similar to a car brake line, with no brass nipple fitted. I've been through my box of bits and cannot find a suitable 3/8" nipple to solder on, as they are all too big a diameter to fit the union. A 5/16" nipple is dimentionally sound at the junction end, but too small a diameter for the 3/8" pipe. I understand now why the old stub pipe has a formed flare.

My question is, where do you buy a forming kit from? I assume the likes of Halfords won't be of much use, with all their stuff being metric. Is it the same as a classic car brake pipe kit? I'm looking for some advice on where to buy a kit to help
Duncan

Re: Rigid G80 oil pipe couplings

Post by Duncan »

Hi Jim, afraid I cant help with the kit but if you get stuck the club appear to list made up feed and return pipes for bikes with CP gearboxes