Non AMC - Yamaha sprockets

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Non AMC - Yamaha sprockets

Post by 56G80S »

Well, The XJ600S passed it's MoT last month but the tester, who I've known for decades, mentioned the final chain was worn. I'd already thought so myself. New chain and sprockets purchased as I thought I'd be a "good boy" and change them together. The Yamahaha is already stripped ready for the new fitment.

The front, JT Sprockets, item did not match the original. All correct (splines, teeth etc) except no recesses for the new tab washer instead there was a plain face on the nut side. I contacted the supplier and should receive a returns voucher. I searched a little more and it seems that the exact version costs seven to eight times as much; between £70 - £80. JT Sprockets are a large scale supplier and I can only assume that most people fit them without any other security than Loctite on the nut. I've tracked down a cheaper Yamahaha one from Italy on Ebay at £26 plus £15 postage but it won't arrive until the end of this month shortly before the Scottish section camping weekend.

Out of interest, I compared the new sprockets with the old and TBH I can see no discernable difference at all; the old ones both front and rear appear unworn. The temptation is to clean up and refit the original sprockets with the new DID 520 X ring chain and new tab washer. Or, as I think I recall seeing on other gearbox output sprockets, drill and tap the new sprocket and tab washer to be secured with a small bolt.

I'll be going for the former, the chain was around £70 and accelerated wear not so much of an issue bearing in mind the relatively low miles I do now. I can then keep my eye open for a closer to home bargain Yamahaha front sprocket and swap them in when the chain wears out. I will be shunning the chain waxes etc. having cleaned out the accumulated crap grinding paste that it turns into. I think I will stick with dribbling oil on as recommended by Yamahaha.

Well, that was cathartic.

Just the sticky rear caliper piston to sort. Seal kit on it's way but I rarely use the back brake.

Johnny B
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Non AMC - Yamaha sprockets

Post by Eamonn »

56G80S wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:11 pm I think I will stick with dribbling oil on as recommended by Yamahaha.
Use the recommendations from the chain supplier regarding lubrication - many years ago I ruined a sealed chain by using the wrong oil...!
Corners like a Lego man

Post by 1608 »

Some years ago my brother owned a Yamaha 500 single( from new)and had recurring problems with the gearbox sprocket coming loose. He was quite mechanically minded re engines and bikes, and despite the relevant locking mechanism for said sprocket being correct never did find the reason for the fault. Just thought I'd mention it.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks chaps. Ironically, straight SAE30/50 is the recommended oil.

On the lossening front, I've do a couple of thousand miles and not been a problem. Hope it doesn't become one!

Johnny B