Meeting of English motorcycles

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JARO

Re: Meeting of English motorcycles

Post by JARO »

alanjennings wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:33 pm Nice photos!! I will be in Jelenia Gora Tomorrow as after the IJR I have 2 weeks holiday left-We were there about 30 years ago on my vincent and sidecar!
Hi atanjennings,
If you are in Poland I invite you to my place.I live in north of Poland .This weekend I will home.
I can show you Gdansk , for example.
16.06. is day off here and I will go to Prague for 4 days.
SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:01 pm It's interesting that both valves are operated by only one cam and the valve timing and the opening/closing characteristics (speed, lift) of each is obtained by having different profiles on each of the individual cam followers.
Yes , you are right with cam shaft.
This is shape of piston , look on this part list.

Can you tell me how to name in English cylinder together with cylinder head like on the photo.
I don't know how translate but here people say blank ( maybe this translate makes sense)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

JARO wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:32 pm
This is shape of piston , look on this part list.
Thanks. It must be a heavy piston but I suppose it's a slow revving engine.
Can you tell me how to name in English cylinder together with cylinder head like on the photo.
I don't know how translate but here people say blank ( maybe this translate makes sense)
I don't know a term for that but I'd call it a 'one piece' or 'combined' cylinder and head. Maybe better informed vintage owners have another term for it.
I've had a look on the Web (vintage forums and Wikipedia) and reference is made to a 'monobloc' arrangement.
Monobloc cylinder.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

It’s also known as a blind barrel.
JARO

Post by JARO »

39speedtwin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:00 am It’s also known as a blind barrel.
Thanks, here people say similar but difficult translate because this world has double meaning
blank cartridge or blank man / or blind cartridge or blind man never mind.
Polish word should be similar to English because the source of nomenclature and production is England.
SPRIDDLER wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:38 am
Thanks. It must be a heavy piston but I suppose it's a slow revving engine.
The piston is made of cast iron.This is slow revving engine probably
If you are interested you can find something here.Thanks.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Hi Jaro! hope to meet you sometime! We went to Gdansk with the club 6 years ago.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

JARO wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:31 am If you are interested you can find something here.
I really enjoy reading these old manuals which are written in the flowery language of the 1920's reflecting the glamour and bravado of being a motorcyclist in that era.
I can imagine the author as a pipe-smoking sales chap with slicked back hair, in business suit with waistcoat and and wing collar interpreting the technicalities fed to him by the engineers.

New Imp owners book 2.jpg
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JARO

Post by JARO »