M22 parts

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Nigel6359

M22 parts

Post by Nigel6359 »

Hi I am new and thinking of buying a 1935 M22. What are parts like to find.
Rob Harknett

Re: M22 parts

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure I have told you. Consider all parts accept a few small fittings are unobtainable. You may find used parts on e-bay / autojumbles.
Other parts you will have to make or get made.
Nigel6359

Post by Nigel6359 »

No never been told thats why i posted my first post .
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sorry Nigel,
I get so many people make inquiries about prewar spare parts, I loose track of them all. From this forum, prewar e-group and e-mails.
Rob. prewar officer.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Nigel6359 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:15 am Hi I am new and thinking of buying a 1935 M22. What are parts like to find.
Hi Nigel, is it a running bike that just need maintenance or a partial project?
Nigel6359

Post by Nigel6359 »

Hi Duncan
No its not running very much a project.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Any pictures?
Dave.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Nigel6359 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 am Hi Duncan
No its not running very much a project.
Generically specific parts are more challenging to find for pre-war bikes than post war bikes as there is less demand for them so it is not economically viable for manufactures to produce then than hold low turnover stock for years, that said Russells hold a lot of NOS so that is one contact.

General cycle parts did carry through the range and some also carried through to the end of production, there is a old to new part number book available on the Archive http://archives.jampot.dk/ together with other period information.

It will be worth joining the pre-war group as Rob highlighted as small batches of parts are often made by other owners. Auction sites, the internet and autojumbles are as Rob said another source where parts turn up. Belonging to/attending a section will also introduce you to other contacts.

There is not a one size fits all type of answer but if you have difficulty post a wanted advert (free to club members) or ask for a suggestion of further contacts for specific parts.

Overall it will just take a little more effort than say a mid 50's project but worth it for something more unique and rewarding.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This topic has been about for years. There are many answers to this topic archived here. You may find it clogged with duplicate answers now to be duplicated again.
So here we go yet again.
I have spent years helping to archive all the info. I put the old to new pt.no. book so it appears right at the top of the list of Parts list to make it easier to find. You will find all suppliers stock about the same parts. Just a few parts will differ.
About 10 years ago I went through clubs spares. Old part numbers were in use up to 1951. AMC switched to using new part numbers in 1952. So you need to first find the new part number of a pre 1952 bike, to see if what you want is in stock. I made an excel file of well over 200 parts the club had in stock, at that time. All that you had to do was look at my file to discover if the club stocked the part you are looking for. Very few people looked.
Seems I just wasted my time. Here's a sample of one page of my excel file.
430006.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.