Heated gloves ..

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Taid

Heated gloves ..

Post by Taid »

If this is outside the remit of the forum, then please delete it, ..

OK, so I'm a bit of a wus, but I find it either colder than it was in the 50's (despite global warming) or I can't take the cold any more ..

I'm wondering how practical heated gloves are .. (the advertisers say they are wonderful, but they would, wouldn't they?) and the adverts rarely give full details, like battery size, how to, and how long to, recharge etc

Many, I think, are impractical, having the control on the cuff, which to my mind, should be tucked into the sleeve, not over it.

Prices vary from under 50 to over 200 quid.

Some have got armour, some haven't .. (my existing (non-heated) ones have, though I am not totally convinced of the need.)

Is there a general consensus, or what are your individual views/experiences.

The price does matter, but I think my original budget of 50 to 80 GBPs may be a bit light ..
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Groily

Re: Heated gloves ..

Post by Groily »

Bit of a minefield Taid, but I'm with you these days, heated are good! I've needed something ever since I started taking anti-coagulants that thin the blood! I have a pair as per pic below and per link here (forgive it being French, can't get it to swap lingo and hold onto it! You would be able to over there I think.) So do some of my friends who are also 'all-year-round' riders.
https://www.rst-moto.com/FR/gants-moto/ ... glove.html
Lithium battery in each cuff (underside of), three heat settings - on back of hand - by big buttons that are quite easy to press when gloved up and easy to see which setting you're on by colour, and very effective I reckon. With the armour that is obligatory in many countries now.
The batteries are rechargeable, they say, 200 times, replacements are I think about £40-£50. I've normally got them to full charge in a couple of hours max - and in real life they last several hours at full blast. I have never had them on long enough to go flat - and have found a power point at cafe stops or whatever if worried about the risk.
Not cheap though, and outside your initial ££ range I fear.

Even without switching them on, they are pretty toasty - too hot for spring and summer for me in fact - but at 0° in winter, they are super-good when on, and not so bad when 'resting'.

Besides these, I also have some Oxford Hot Hands, wrap-rounds which run off the bike(s). They need 35 watts. With dynamo electrics and long E3L 60 watter running at 12v, with LED headlight, no problem - on alternator bikes, a doddle. Not sure if they have them at 6v, probably not. But in any case the warmth is the wrong side of the hands - the outer sides suffer even when the palms are nice and warm. The gloves are 'better' - but a lot more expensive.
Heated gloves.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Groily wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:50 pm I have a pair as per pic below and per link here (forgive it being French, can't get it to swap lingo and hold onto it!
Here's the UK link: https://www.rst-moto.com/motorcycle-glo ... glove.html
£199 a pair.
Corners like a Lego man
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

I was given some cheap chinese heated gloves- 3 AAA batteries in each glove. They work but batteries only last 2 to 3 hours! I have fitted a pair of handlebar plastic/steel muffs from a r.e. himalaya they keep the wind and rain off so help- muffs about £60.
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Taid

Post by Taid »

Groily wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:50 pm Bit of a minefield Taid, but I'm with you these days, heated are good! I've needed something ever since I started taking anti-coagulants that thin the blood! I have a pair as per pic below and per link here (forgive it being French, can't get it to swap lingo and hold onto it! You would be able to over there I think.) So do some of my friends who are also 'all-year-round' riders.
https://www.rst-moto.com/FR/gants-moto/ ... glove.html

Not cheap though, and outside your initial ££ range I fear.

Besides these, I also have some Oxford Hot Hands, wrap-rounds which run off the bike(s). They need 35 watts. With dynamo electrics and long E3L 60 watter running at 12v, with LED headlight, no problem - on alternator bikes, a doddle. Not sure if they have them at 6v, probably not. But in any case the warmth is the wrong side of the hands - the outer sides suffer even when the palms are nice and warm. The gloves are 'better' - but a lot more expensive.
Heated gloves.jpg
Thank you G ..

Very informative, but as you say, very expensive compared to my original budget .. just sold my old lawn mower, which would buy them, but I'd planned to put it into my 'next bike fund' ( Model 31 or G12) ..

I've installed some 12v electronics , so I put a 100W 12v alternator into the 16ms, so power need not be a problem, except I've got to be well out of town to get enough revs to generate high power ..
Eamonn wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 pm
Here's the UK link: https://www.rst-moto.com/motorcycle-glo ... glove.html
£199 a pair.
Thank you E ..

Seems I've got a dealer only a couple of miles away .. must go and see what else he's got.
alanjennings wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:21 pm I was given some cheap chinese heated gloves- 3 AAA batteries in each glove. They work but batteries only last 2 to 3 hours! I have fitted a pair of handlebar plastic/steel muffs from a r.e. himalaya they keep the wind and rain off so help- muffs about £60.
Thank you AJ ..

I had wondered about something similar, and getting several sets of re-chargeable AAAs, so I could carry spares when I go out .. they are not cheap, but using them would be v convenient ..

Thanks for the input

Have been wondering about getting a 50s/60s style handlebar fairing and windscreen like the one on the AJS combination in the Kettering shop at the moment .. , but not sure of the effect of gusts of wind from other traffic would have .. they are disturbing enough as it is..

T.
___

joolz6

Post by joolz6 »

I purchased Gerbin heated gloves and a jacket many years ago and they have never let me down They come with an adaptor so can be linked up to to a 12 volt battery and will keep you really warm !! I had spine surgery so riding in the cold was murder for me but now i am out in all weather !
Taid

Post by Taid »

Thanks J.

I've bought some cheaper gloves from London Comfy to try out .. awaiting delivery at the moment ..

Had decided to get a pair as recommend by Groily, above, but when I went to the local stockist the response was 'we don't do heated gloves now .. they are all rubbish' or words to that effect ..

If the ones I have ordered prove adequate, I'll look into getting more expensive in the future.

Did g
___

Groily

Post by Groily »

That's a bore Taid. Don't know what makes the man think they're 'all rubbish' as the pairs I know of have been pretty good, in one case for a good 5 or 6 years.
The guys in the local bike shop - who ordered me mine - use them themselves for long distances on modern machines and swear by them, which is why I invested my beer vouchers.
Hope the London Comfys work out OK for the time being anyway.
Cheers!
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Read the reviews on trust pilot on london comfy gloves!!!!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Taid

Post by Taid »

Maybe wrong decision on my part, but when a dealer I found on the manufacturer site speaks as he did, I decided to rethink ..

I don't do a lot of miles .. my 40 or so yesterday was a big deal .. so I decided to try out the principle with a pair, less than I spent on an ordinary pair, and if they do the job for a time, I look into getting others..
___