Removing Brake Drum Sprocket H'Weight Hub SOLVED!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
peterg123

Removing Brake Drum Sprocket H'Weight Hub SOLVED!!

Post by peterg123 »

I am trying to remove my brake drum/sprocket from my probably '55 full width allow rear. In any case it has the older Smiths Speedo drive "tobacco tin" shape rather than the more rounded 60's style Speedo drive.

All the spindle,Smith box, bearings, washers, spacers,oil seals etc were removed from left to right. The wheel has been stored outside and has rust patina.

I have undone the 5 locknuts on the inside of the drum. Driven the drum with a drift lightly from the right side... but it did not come loose.

Thought the 5 x bolts might screw into the brake drum, but turning them they simply rotate and do not withdraw. Tapping on the ends of these bolts and they don't seem to come out from the right hand side either

This wheel has baked in the African sun for a few decades and has lots of dry rust. I have used little force, but maybe it just needs more welly with a drift through to come off? It's in good shape and it's 30 years since I took one apart..dont want to bodge it. There could be some retainer I am missing??

PIX HERE

SOLVED: Worked out the 5 x bolts are not threaded to the drum. The problem was cold welding between the bolts and the alloy hub, and dry rust on the "feet x 5" the brake drum sits on...castings actually. Poured lots of 50/50 diesel and mixed oil on the bolts and loosened them with my impact driver until they were spinning free.....this took repeated dousings of diesel, driving then from each side with drifts then back to the impact drive.until they were spinning free...until the electrolytic welding and dry rust loosened....then drove them out from the brake side. The drum was STILL cold welded to the hub and it took some stout work with drifts, wedges and the copper hammer before it finally fell free. All parts well refurb fine and be reusable for a concurs finish...Phew... 3 hours!

Cheers.