One Good Spark Every 6 or 7 Kicks

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

One Good Spark Every 6 or 7 Kicks

Post by Iron Head »

Apologies for this question being about my ‘68 350cc Benelli four stroke single but I know we have a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Bike has excellent Swiss-made Bosch electrics but I am currently only getting a healthy spark every 6 or 7 kicks.

Have tried two known good 6V HT coils with same effect.
The ignition side is very simple, am I correct in assuming it can now only be condenser or could the voltage regulator (Dynamo driven) be involved somehow? Points gap is to specification. Many thanks in advance.

Iron Head
Groily

Re: One Good Spark Every 6 or 7 Kicks

Post by Groily »

Shouldn't be anything to do with the regulator, unless the battery is always flat that is!
Could be the plug or lead of course - swap plug maybe to see? Or yes, could be condenser - when you spin the motor, if you can see the contact breaker, are there lots of sparks flying around across the points? If there are, it's a tell-tale sign, but probably hard to pick up at kickstart speed. Substitution for a known good one (it'll be a pretty standard rating) is the best and easiest test.
Check also that the various little insulating washers etc that go into the points department to insulate the live one are present and correct, and that the condenser is actually hooked up correctly, one side to earth, the other to the live cb point by whatever route.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

A dodgy ignition switch might give a poor spark - to eliminate this connect the live side of the battery directly to the switch side of the coil.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks for the replies guys, good pointers to try. I have a spare condenser too. I also failed to mention that because the coil has green wires from both the supply and CB I have been running the coil incorrectly for several thousand miles😳. I now understand what 15 (+) and 1 (-) represent on a Bosch coil!

Iron Head