Seat mount

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Seat mount

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all, hope everyone is well, can anyone shed any light on the angle brackets to mount the seat springs to frame on a 46 Matchless 500, some pics I have found have angle brackets and some have the spring bolted directly to the frame. I cannot find the angle brackets anywhere on any parts list or parts sales sites.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys, Steve.
Mick D

Re: Seat mount

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Page 32 of the 46 AJS parts list?

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf

Illustrated page 31?

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve64 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:14 pm Hi all, hope everyone is well, can anyone shed any light on the angle brackets to mount the seat springs to frame on a 46 Matchless 500,
However, this is the arrangement on my '47 AJS (one owner before me - an AMC dealer).
and on the r/h side there is a right-angled bracket........
Saddle bracket rh side 1947.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Thanks for the help guys, the Matchless parts book is almost identical except for the seat mounting brackets. You couldn't provide the dimensions for the brackets so I can make a pair, nobody has seen any for years let alone stock them.
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks , Steve.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'll measure one on a pal's '46 G80 later today as the one I showed in my pic was of my '47 AJS but it seems to be a very simple bracket that you could make up without measurements.
The l/h side bracket on the AJS is different from the r/h side as the bracket on the Ajay is also the mounting for the horn as described in the Spares List for the Ajay (but not for the Matchless). The l/h saddle spring has a loop for attaching it to the bracket. Pic below.
At a guess perhaps the reason your Matchless may be different is perhaps because the the Matchless has a rear mounted magneto whereas on the Ajay it's in front of the cylinder although I can't see why that should matter. The horn on the '46 Matchless was mounted in front of the cylinder where the mag is fitted on the Ajays.
However, although the Ajay was a one-owner (an AMC dealer) before me it's always possible that it may not be correct.
Saddle spring bracket.JPG

Here's a factory poster for the 46 Matchless............

46 Matchless snip.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Seat bracket.jpg
G80 1946.jpg
Attached image of brackets on my 1946 G80L , so should be the same as yours
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Seat bracket - 2.jpg
and the bracket , same both sides
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

Guys you have been fantastic with your help. The pics, comments and specs have been more helpful than I could have imagined. Thank you all very much. Steve.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ah, that's Thrifty Peter's bike where I was going to measure the bracket but I'll drop by there anyway even though I prefer to chat outdoors where it's not so cold as he still has his central heating thermostat on the summer setting of 10 degrees. :roll:
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

frost protection , just trying to do my bit against climate change and save a few pounds