Spares Service postage

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Victor Johnstone

Spares Service postage

Post by Victor Johnstone »

Ajs must have one of the best spares services in the game. Only one complaint. I live 18 miles from Glasgow along the A82 trunk road. I get charged an arm and a leg by AMOC spares. They classify me as scottish highlands and islands. Where I live is neither an island nor is it in the highlands in fact it has a Glasgow postcode. No ferry crossings! Please note that the roads to the highlands are first class and faster than the clogged up routes nearer cities. 16 quid to post big end shells! Nonsense and not happy!!
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Spares Service postage

Post by Eamonn »

If anyone has any queries about their postage costs, it is better to email the spares service direct rather than using the Forum as the spares team don't normally have the time to read all the Forum topics!

Having said that I have checked the order referred to above shipped in the 20th September - the club charged £19.57 for postage to the Argyll and Bute area for a 24 hour delivery service. The delivery company (Yodel) charged the club £20.60, so the club actually lost 97p in the process of sending you the items.

You will find that your most recent order (entered on Sunday) will have a £10 postage charge, this is because on the 4th October the club negotiated lower shipping costs although in order to achieve that the delivery is now a 48 hour service rather than the 24 hour that you paid for last time.

Your point about your location is well made and those who have ridden in Scotland know exactly how good the roads can be, however the delivery companies advise us of their classifications and the post codes of G82, G83 and G84 are all in the £10 band of charging.

Each month the postage costs for our parcels are checked and analysed to make sure our members are receiving the best deal we can achieve. If we find there has been over-charging then we do make a refund.
Corners like a Lego man
century

Post by century »

yes seems the pandemic and what goes with that has shut a heap of gear down ,freight has tripled,bought a nut from the uk,18 dollars australian, dhl postage was 87 aus ,got hear in a day but layed up in customs for 8 days,different times,wont buy another one
bodgie dave
Victor Johnstone

Thanks for the reply. I posted this here because it’s a discussion forum. I’m interested in others’ views. I appreciate that it’s not profiteering by AMOC and I really do think it’s a great service but perhaps it’s time to move from Yodel? I certainly won’t use them if I have a choice. Obv I got it wrong, the cost of posting 3 sets of ( let’s face it - lightweight) shell bearings was nearly 20 quid
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Victor Johnstone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:13 am ... perhaps it’s time to move from Yodel? ....
We have looked at other suppliers and within the English/Welsh borders we have used DX as a delivery company, however we found that for Scotland and Northern Ireland the Yodel services offered the best price for a fully tracked service.
We have partnered with an independent delivery company who keep us advised on the best rates available to all the UK locations, so although we are using Yodel in Scotland right now it may change at some point in the future if another service provider offers the same options for a lower price.

Yes, there are lower priced options but they don't include tracking facilities - having used some of these in the past it becomes very difficult (if not impossible) to track a parcel when it's not delivered, that's one of the reasons why all our UK parcels now have tracking numbers allocated to them and you get notification from the delivery company on where your parcel is on its journey.
Corners like a Lego man
Victor Johnstone

Thanks Eamonn, I appreciate the time you have taken to explain and I understand why you use Yodel. My last moan on this: actually no part of my postcode G84 is an island and G84 is not in the Highlands. Even if it did/was, in these digital days where super accurate maps go down to metre accuracy it's clear that this is a Yodel rip off. No other carrier treats us as in any way remote. I personally still won't ever use Yodel if I can help it - although I probably will need to get more stuff from the Scheme :-) thanks again.
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

I'm abroad, Estonia. Minimum postage fee seems to be 40 £. I don't doubt that the transporter charges that, but the result is that AMC Classic Spares is always my first choice. If they have a minimum fee around 20 £, why can't the clubs spares service use the the same transport company? On top there is the minimum order of, if I remember correctly, 120 £. I'm running a world wide service spares service myself, for a completely other brand. With conditions like this I'd be out of business long ago.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Blame Brexit for the minimum order charge. If a VAT registered business in the UK supplies goods to a value of £135.00 or less to a customer who is not VAT registered in the EU, they must charge VAT at the rate applicable in the Member State of destination and register for VAT in that Member State and account for and pay the tax due to the authorities in that country. Prior to leaving the EU, sales to non-VAT registered customers in other Member States were subject to UK VAT.

Magnus 750, you are lucky not to have to operate as we have to now in the UK.

The issue with any courier or postal service is to balance quick delivery, cost and the ability to track goods. There is no one supplier who offers the best service in all areas. Rob has explained why we are currently using the couriers we do and what the issues are. There are only 2 of us working at Kettering and I am part time. A system that is too bureaucratic will delay spares orders and may not improve the overall service. We really try to provide the best service possible to members, but we have to operate in a way where we can't control the effectiveness of the delivery companies. They promise a level of service and sometimes don't meet it.
Rosy

Post by Rosy »

Why are there no delivery charges stated on the AMOC parts homepage? I don't think they appear to you're at checkout! It's one of the first things I check when about to buy parts, because it can put the overall cost up by a considerable cost and I like to include delivery in my budget.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Rosy wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:00 pmWhy are there no delivery charges stated on the AMOC parts homepage?
Up until recently, the UK postage costs were calculated based upon the value of your order so it wouldn't be possible to quote a postage cost until your basket had been populated. However a few weeks ago we negotiated a fixed price for the majority of UK postage, so for the UK customers we can now show a price structure as you suggest.

For our members outside of the UK, the postage costs are based upon both the weight and the volumetric size of the parcel, so until we know what the items are and how big (or small) a package we can use, we are not able to give a postage cost before the basket is prepared. Having said that, for all the non-UK orders we always prepare a parcel and get a quote from the delivery company so we can send an email quoting the postage cost before payment is made.

I have now added a link at the bottom of the page on www.amoc-parts.com alongside the "Terms and Conditions" link to show the shipping costs. This gives as much information as we can before any items have been selected.
Corners like a Lego man