Oversize (?) tyres

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Eamonn
Webmaster

Oversize (?) tyres

Post by Eamonn »

I've been in email conversation with a member in Switzerland and he's sent the following message through:

I have fitted the Avon 3.25 (front)and 4.0 x 19 for the rear and went off to have the bike newly registered in Switzerland.
This is taken minutely seriously here and the examiner pointed out that the rear tyre (he measured rim and tyre with with a verneer caliper) is not correct as this should be 3.5 according to his specifications and that having an improper tyre could be dangerous…

Is there a case for size 4.0 being correct equivalent to the old 3.5 and also being correct for this rim (original Dunlop, MB43 stamped on rim, whatever that may signify). Any idea who may be able to confirm this officially (someone at Avon UK?)

Any comments or suggestions (especially from other Swiss members!)
Corners like a Lego man
clive

Re: Oversize (?) tyres

Post by clive »

The original spec was 19 by 3.50. I cannot see how 19 by 4.00 could be a correct equivalent. They are different sizes. Having said that I have a 19 by 4.00 on the rear of one of my singles and it handles and fits fine although i think technically it should not be fitted to a wm3 rim.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

i have a 4.00x19 mitas on rear of my ajs model 30 twin but it is only really the same width as a dunlop or avon 3.50 width .
some of the modern imperial sized tyres seem to be slightly smaller width than the old original tyres were .
ian
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I have "oversize" tyres front and back and have had for many years (memory fails for the exact dims). I have to spin the sliders and let some air out to remove the front wheel.

Avon Roadriders, all good.

Can't recall if it's been mentioned but don't forget that the modern tyres need higher pressures than the manual says otherwise handling suffers.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, whether or not it's dangerous the examiner has the standard specification so I guess the answer is to fit the specified tyre for the examination and then ............ ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
laxy

Post by laxy »

Cheapest option would be to borrow a rear wheel with correct tyre for the day.from a friend I also have used 4.00 x19 on the rear for many years without a problem.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

laxy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:17 pm Cheapest option would be to borrow a rear wheel with correct tyre for the day from a friend..........
Probably not too easy in Switzerland ;)

(Although we don't know which bike he has).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
laxy

Post by laxy »

I wonder if a bribe of a bar of toblerone would do the trick
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Im with Spridds - the examiner had clearly done his homework and the owner was, or should have been aware of how strict the requirements were.

Steve