first time running

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Stevecampy

Re: first time running

Post by Stevecampy »

hope these pics help and the year of the bike is 57
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

From your photos, the bike is not a standard 57 18S so don't try to apply the 57 documentation in toto.

The mag on a 57 18S would have had an auto advance and associated parts, yours is an earlier manual advance. What is your engine number year?

Your third photo is of the exhaust lift lever assembly - nothing to do with either mag or carb.

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Photos? Oops, didn't see page 1 Doh!
Last edited by spookefoote1956 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
clive

Post by clive »

That is an SR1 mag which should have an auto advance retard. The magneto chaincase would require a bulge to accommodate the auto advance retard but yours is for the earlier N1 mag. At the other side of the SR1 mag is a homemade cover I have no idea if the wire coming from it is for the spark but I assume so. In which case you have no advance retard which will make starting the bike tricky. The valve lifter set up looks correct.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clive

Post by clive »

Mick D wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:57 am Hi

From your photos, the bike is not a standard 57 18S so don't try to apply the 57 documentation in toto.

The mag on a 57 18S would have had an auto advance and associated parts, yours is an earlier manual advance. What is your engine number year?

Your third photo is of the exhaust lift lever assembly - nothing to do with either mag or carb.

Regards Mick
No mick it's a bodged SR1
clive
clive

Post by clive »

Steve you say the bike is 57 and much of it looks like it is (spookefoot try the earlier page for the photos :headbang: ) Specifically the slab sided oil tank, AMC gearbox and girling shocks are all correct for 57. You have part of a SR1 mag but the correct endplate is missing. Plenty repro ones about as they tend to break to the screws. More difficult is that at the drive end you will need the auto advance unit which are a bit scarce and the magneto cover with the bulge. I wonder if the engine has been changed, does the number start 57/18 .....
clive
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is an SR mag. The ID plate that fits in the square above the SR mag words are is missing. SR mags of various types were fitted to Stationary engines, boats, tractors etc. I do not think this is a type SR1 mag. You can see various SR type mags here http://brightsparkmagnetos.com/library/ ... %20SR4.pdf
Stevecampy

Post by Stevecampy »

Some progress today decompressor was fitted wrong I’ve rotated the shaft and it worked better also slacked off tappers it clatters but starts every second kick and legs a lot better lol insurance and a ride soon Thank again for your help
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Nice one Steve, very satisfying innit.
You've been given links to find the manuals for your bike but if I may be pedantic be aware that the manuals say that the pushrod clearance should be 'Nil' which is to say no measurable clearance but just free to rotate. Too much clearance and not only will performance be reduced and they'll clatter but it will accelerate wear at the pushrod ends and rocker arms through 'hammering' .

As Clive has asked: What is the engine number. It's stamped into the l/h side of the c/case just below the joint with the cylinder.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Penultimate pic is of the exhaust valve lifter and the arrangement is a bodge. Maybe you'll find a pic of the right thing through a Search.

Ultimate pic is an SR1 mag that is not standard. The mag chain cover has no bulge for the auto advance and retard and the points cover is not standard either, looks like someone may've bodged that SR1 to have a manual arrangement. The SR1's fitted to other kit, marine engines for example, had entirely different "points side" covers.

I've found the SR! to be a very good mag.

Johnny B