Lucas NR1 Magneto Bearing Outer Races

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Iron Head

Lucas NR1 Magneto Bearing Outer Races

Post by Iron Head »

Am completing a full bottom end engine rebuild on my '54 G80CS and have decided to bite the bullet changing some pretty shaky original bearings on the magneto. I have the bearings and insulating gaskets and an inner race puller to (hopefully) get the inner races off the armature. Does anyone know how much of a challenge getting the outer races out is. I think my smallest expanding bearing puller/slide hammer might work on the inside of the race, if there is something to grab a hold of, but I assume some hot water on the end housings might be in order?

Thanks, Iron Head
bitza

Re: Lucas NR1 Magneto Bearing Outer Races

Post by bitza »

You could try a expanding rawlbolt or similar with a little heat , hot air gun , others might have better suggestions.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Thanks Bitza that might work plus I think I could attach the Rawlbolt to my slide hammer for some gentle persuasion!

Iron Head
bitza

Post by bitza »

Take care the housing is a soft material , so no ham fisted job.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't think it will be too hard to remove - use your expanding bearing extractor to grip the outer in the ball recess from the inside. then support the case and tap around the extractor visible surface with a small hammer and parallel punch - it's more controllable than using the slide hammer.
If you have a press then that's even better ;)

Regards Mick
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Hi Mick

Got it out pretty much using the method you described however I could only get a good grip with my bearing puller by first grinding the race groove considerably deeper with my jewellers ‘dremel’. Hitting on a socket on the end of the extractor with the bearing housing in my hand did the trick. No idea how to reach the other end up inside the body of the NR1 but perhaps that can be tapped out?

Iron Head