New Member - 1929 1000cc Model X

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
bluey

New Member - 1929 1000cc Model X

Post by bluey »

Hi, my name's Gary. Figured I should say hello to everyone that I'll be picking the brains of.

I'm currently working on this...

It's owned by Steve, the owner of the workshop I volunteer at. He's had it a couple of years and originally bought it as a potential restoration project.

We've been advised not to restore it so I'm currently going through the process of getting it to fire up. I'll do a more in depth post on the bike and it's history, as well as some of the interesting features on it.
Rob Harknett

Re: New Member - 1929 1000cc Model X

Post by Rob Harknett »

Welcome to the club Gary.
It would be nice to read of its history. Are there any signs of the wheels being painted white and the barrel & head being nickle plated ( not black ) Is the frame number lower than 1031? Rob ( Prewar Officer AJS & Matchless O.C.)
bluey

Post by bluey »

Rob Harknett wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:41 pm Welcome to the club Gary.
It would be nice to read of its history. Are there any signs of the wheels being painted white and the barrel & head being nickle plated ( not black ) Is the frame number lower than 1031? Rob ( Prewar Officer AJS & Matchless O.C.)
Hi, yes the frame number is lower, starts with a 6. Externally the barrels are pretty tired and rusty but still some silver flicks of what looks like nickel coating. I'm unsure with the wheels as it looks like at some point they've been blasted and painted black.

I will do a full post on the bike with some close up pics at some point over the weekend.

At some point I've got to try and locate some piston rings.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I'd love something like that but can't afford it!

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A 3 digit number starting with 6 would be a 1929 Model X or an X/R . X/R probably with white wheels. X/R would have different engine spec's also nickle plated barrel & head. A frame higher than 1030 would be an X/2 or XR/2, XR/2 wheels were chrome plated.