Wax jacket / legs Belstaff repair

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Wax jacket / legs Belstaff repair

Post by 56G80S »

Putting this in General Topics as it's not a request for machine help.

I bought a new wax jacket the other year. Not really had a lot of use (maybe 500 - 750 miles) but very happy with it.

However, I would like to get my old Belstaff set cleaned, repaired and professionally re-waxed but there appears to be a wealth of cowboys in this territory. Looking at various websites, even going back to the original manufacturer may not be a good option.

I've read a couple of recommendations, one at Market Ludlow (Barbouretem ?) and the other at Goole (Claymore Jackets). I have personally cleaned and rewaxed my set in the past. I think I need the sleeves replacing as they are worn heavily in the crook of the elbow so now leak and there are some other very minor repairs. The legs are good but there are some very small repairs required.

I really prefer the waxed cotton to the other materials.

Thoughts welcomed.

Johnny B
56G80S

Re: Wax jacket / legs Belstaff repair

Post by 56G80S »

Looks like no-one else has used this kind of service?

John B
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Yup!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 pm Looks like no-one else has used this kind of service?

John B
Probably as they've moved on with the times and gone the textile GoreTex route. I haven't used Waxed clothing for near 40yrs. Hated the stuff!
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

I had a Belstaff "Trialmaster" suit back in the day (over 50 years ago). I never had it repaired or re-waxed, though, so not a lot of help to you now. I replaced it with a "Rhino" leather jacket which still fits me and I still use after 45 years. Only in dry weather, though. :)
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I think that Rob hit the nail on the head with folk moving on to modern fabrics. For pure nostalgia I'd like to replace my old Belstaff but I guess like many find the current prices hard to stomach :|

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Greybeard wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:21 pm I think that Rob hit the nail on the head with folk moving on to modern fabrics. For pure nostalgia I'd like to replace my old Belstaff but I guess like many find the current prices hard to stomach :|

Steve
Prices are very very high for good gear but I've had my Rukka gear for 10yrs and used it all year round and through some nasty nasty weather. Only now have I had to replace the jacket as it was getting dog-eared in places. Rukka offer a repair service but not an enlargement one so it had to go. :rofl:

The cost of the new jacket though was more than the complete suit from ten yrs ago and made me wince. However if it lasts 10yrs then it's likely to see me to the end of my motorcycling days. Ailments rather than age I reckon will be the decider.
bitza

Post by bitza »

Belstaff uk have a on line site .
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Barbour Jacket Rewaxing
Monday 4 October - Sunday 10 October, various times

British lifestyle brand Barbour is running jacket rewaxing workshops in their Duke Street store during London Craft Week. Barbour wax jackets can last a very long time when looked after properly, which makes them a very sustainable fashion choice. Try your hand at the techniques involved. 

Book at : https://www.londoncraftweek.com/events/ ... -155870649
Corners like a Lego man
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Looks like I'm on my own in actually preferring the wax cotton stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

See you at Woodthorpe, fuel allowing!

Johnny B