Copper twin head gaskets 1.4mm any good?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
LynP

Copper twin head gaskets 1.4mm any good?

Post by LynP »

Hi, I have some copper head gaskets I was going to use on my G12, I measured them and they are 1.4mm thick but, because I remember some posts regarding issues with a batch of 1mm ones when they should normally be 1.5mm thought I would ask advice, is 1.4mm OK to use?
Groily

Re: Copper twin head gaskets 1.4mm any good?

Post by Groily »

As long as the spigots don't bottom out before the gasket is compressed - which is the thing that causes the worry - then I reckon they should be OK. Always worth doing some basic measurements / gentle trial run just to be sure - but bearing in mind copper ones don't squish like the composites do I'd be surprised if there was a problem.
I have 4 copper ones hereabouts, one pair used, one new - all 4 measure +/-57 thou, which is between 1.4 and 1.5mm.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi Groily, thank you once again for your help with one of my posts, especially for taking the trouble to measure your head gaskets. I was going to check the gaps between the heads and the barrels today but did not get the chance, but I will do it as soon as I can. I think that as long as the gap between the faces is 1.2mm or less, the 1.4 gaskets will be OK because as you say they should not compress much. Best regards, Lyn
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Are you using O rings to seal the oilways?
Dave
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi Dave, yes I am intending to use o rings.
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi again, just to update the gasket situation following the help I received from Groily and Dave. I have just measured the gap between the heads and barrels with the heads dropped on without a gasket and I just got a .70mm feeler gauge in, so half the thickness of the 1.4mm copper gasket. I can't see the gasket compressing by .07mm so I think all will be fine. Thanks again Lyn