Frame year identification

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve64

Frame year identification

Post by Steve64 »

Hi all hope you are all well, I was wondering if anyone could help with identifying the year of a Matchless frame. The frame number is 3175 and is in the spot it is supposed to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks , Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Re: Frame year identification

Post by Eamonn »

Go to https://dating.jampot.com and get the details online.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Frame number series were repeated. So pictures of the complete frame would be needed by the clubs Dating officer, to confirm the era. e.g. Prewar, WD G3/WO, WD G3l or postwar. All the frame number only tells us,, having no A prefix or C suffix, is it is pre circa 1955.
Steve64

Post by Steve64 »

These are a couple of pics I have, hope they help with year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

Assuming the front and rear loop are from the same year (big assumption!) I would date it between 46 and 49.
At least 46 because the seat spring mounts are upright studs rather than a tube across, and before 49 when I think the mounting point for the side stand was moved forward.
Frame number fits the range for 1946 which started I think at 500. If you want to know for sure contact the dating service, the online dating service suggests that the club holds a record.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

WD 41G3L frame was used up to 1947. ( 41-G3L- F23 & 41-G3L- F24 ) New frame part no's. came in 1948 which had the sidecar lug on the front down tube.
A 4 digit frame number could be 1946 or WD Matchless. but it is not listed as a WD 41 G3L Matchless. Would you be surprised if I told you I believe it could be a 1940 AJS model 26 frame.. Its down to knowing where anyone could look to prove this from factory publications. It will also prove what the bike was used for. Club dating officer Roy will know where to look and issue a dating certificate. A close inspection is needed to prove 1946 AJS or Matchless or 1940 AJS.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rob Harknett wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:21 pm Would you be surprised if I told you I believe it could be a 1940 AJS model 26 frame..
Hi Rob, if the 1940 AJS 26 could have used this used this frame type could any of the late 1939 model year have used it too?
clive

Post by clive »

rear loop is not pre war is it Rob, it has the lugs with an upright stud in for each of the seat springs? Prewar and WD had a horizontal tube across the frame and a single stud holding both springs didn't they.
clive
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

clive wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:18 pm rear loop is not pre war is it Rob, it has the lugs with an upright stud in for each of the seat springs? Prewar and WD had a horizontal tube across the frame and a single stud holding both springs didn't they.
Clive, it could be time for your annual eye test :D
clive

Post by clive »

Pardon Duncan? (just found out my hearing is below normal as well, apparently, as my eyesight)
clive