Not AMOC but.....

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Not AMOC but.....

Post by 56G80S »

Back from Scotland and thought I'd start the Yamaha.

Didn't.

Turns over nicely maybe a couple of little kicks but no go. Stood for 5 weeks or a bit.

Water separated out of the ethanol laced petrol? I have a Jerry can with petrol treated with stabiliser, will try that tomorrow.

Not happened before but then, only ever stood unstarted for a week or so.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Re: Not AMOC but.....

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Maybe a daft suggestion but it's not the 'Kill' switch is it?
Just before the lockdown Resto Ray and I were at Dover port but when the guy waved us to board my modern Mutchless turned over but wouldn't fire. The rest of the motorbikes boarded whilst I was faffing about checking for a spark, fuel etc. Just as I was resigned to calling Recovery a pal with a car who happened to be going to the same rally wandered across, immediately flicked my Kill button (which I had never really noticed or used) and it fired up straight away. I'd never before had a modern bike with such sophistication (plus the sidestand must be up, gears in neutral and the front brake held on). I reckon that after we'd stopped and I'd fiddled about removing my jacket, gloves, specs, helmet etc. and putting away my passport, the ticket, boarding card and several discount vouchers for the on-board resto and shop I had accidentally knocked it to the 'Off' position. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Foolish boy,Sprid, been there myself!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
griffin

Post by griffin »

alanjennings wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:38 am Foolish boy,Sprid, been there myself!!
I think we have all been there and if you are into boating the equivalent would be 'forgetting to put the bung in'
REW

Post by REW »

I assume CV carbs on your Yam JB? Always difficult to get moving again after a while without use. Petrol tap manual, vacuum or electric? Lack of fuel in the cylinder(s) is the problem but once started I suspect problem will not recur until... you leave it a few weeks.

So, fuel on or temporary supply direct to the fuel pipe feeding the carb manifold. Choke on. Try a generous spin of't engine. If that fails, remove a couple of spark plugs and drop some fuel in or spray easy start in. Plugs back and try again. Slightest fire on one pot and it probably will get itself going.

I never turn off the fuel tap where CV carbs are used (Honda my experience but Yamaha surely the same).

Maybe this will help.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

On my 1978 Kawasaki, I always had to drain off the old fuel from the carbs before trying to start after a long lay off. There were drain screws at the base of each carb, so it didn't take too long to do and meant that you had fresh petrol in the carb ready to go.
Corners like a Lego man
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

John, my old cbr 600 suffers the same problem. I juggle the manual choke and throttle and eventually it bursts into life! I have threaten it by telling it to behave or it will visit the scrapman in the sky!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
REW

Post by REW »

alanjennings wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:13 pm John, my old cbr 600 suffers the same problem. I juggle the manual choke and throttle and eventually it bursts into life! I have threaten it by telling it to behave or it will visit the scrapman in the sky!!
CV carbs again Alan.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

All serene now. I went round to do a couple of other things (see revived other thread re. chain oiling) and gave it another go. Full choke, merest hint of throttle , second touch of the button, burst into life as usual.

Let it idle for a while and back in the hutch.

On the pump, I'll have to recheck but I think it's electric. Apparently, with a full tank it can be bypassed to run gravity fed but needs very early top ups.

Thanks.

Johnny B